Thread: Scarlet-X: FPS, mounts, lenses, and sensor sizes in comparison

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Scarlet-X: FPS, mounts, lenses, and sensor sizes in comparison 
    Hello everyone
    Yesterday/last night was very exciting for filmmakers: Canon EOS c300, Media Composer 6, and then RED Scarlet-X.

Since the Scarlet is revealed my mind immediately started to configure a great Scarlet. Maybe I will buy the "Scarlet-X AL Canon Mount Package." But now I am wondering about a few things:

Mounts
    Should I get a Canon Aluminum mount or a Canon Titanium mount? Which is more reliable?
    Or should I get a PL mount?

Lenses
    I am looking for some wide, normal and telephoto lenses as well as a good zoom lens. Which ones do you recommend? Which ones do you have good experiences with? Which brand?

FPS
    Look at the chart below:

PROJECT FRAME RATES 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 47.96, 48, 50, 59.97

REDCODE™ 16-bit RAW Processing : Compression choices of 18:1 to 3:1
    1-12 fps 5K FF --> what for?
    1-30 fps 4K HD
    1-48 fps 3K HD
    1-60 fps 1080p HD
    1-120 fps 1K
    Don't you think that 12 fps at 5k are a bit low? I mean if somebody wants to shoot his film at 5k, shouldn't the fps be more like up to 30fps? Or is 5k more designed for stills (and maybe silent film style)?
    Or maybe I misinterpreted something here (Project Frame Rate vs REDCode Frame Rates)? Or how should I compare Project Frame Rate vs REDCode Frame Rates? Can you give me an example?

I'd appreciate some answers from you guys and I hope you all will find the right camera for you.

Dylan Penev

And here is a comparison of sensor sizes (Scarlet is not on there but you can imagine how big the sensor is):
    Last edited by DylanPenev; 11-04-2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: typo