Thread: SpeedGrade Q: Relinking to R3D from QT Proxies and Dealing with Different Resolutions

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SpeedGrade Q: Relinking to R3D from QT Proxies and Dealing with Different Resolutions 
    Starting to get the hang of SpeedGrade and attempting to take the next step--relinking to R3Ds for grading instead of just grading the ProRes422 proxies I use for edit. The question is, when I import my EDL into SpeedGrade and link to the R3Ds instead of the QT files, my clip sizes are all over the place--5k files are now huge and 2k are small. Wasn't an issue in Premiere since everything got scaled down to 1080 when I created the QT files with RedCinex. Now I've linked back to the R3Ds, which are all different resolutions. After I grade and render the sequence out to ProRes, frame sizes are all over the place within the 1920x1080 movie that is created. Is there some kind of "scale to fit" option in SpeedGrade that I'm not seeing? How do I lock my sequence as 1920x1080 and make the shots scale to fit?

In the future, is a better workflow to export ProRes422 proxies at their native resolution and scale them to 1080 in Premiere? Then when I send the EDL to SpeedGrade the scaling info will transfer over and the clips will all show up the same size? (one less variable when I reconnect to the R3Ds)

Thanks!

Haven't used speedgrade for a couple of months but I think the setting your looking for is called Auto zoom, you can scale all the different resolutions by width or height to fill your project size. It's under Timeline / View in the settings panel at the bottom of the screen.

Looks like that just auto zooms the display, not the clips themselves...
    Director/DP: National Geographic Creative
    Epic Dragon
    andymaser.com

For scale in SG use a Pan&Scan layer, and put a keyframe in each start of clip with different size. SG haven't a scale to fit option, as far as I am aware.
    No, EDL don't knows about scaling info. Perhaps in next versión will have a better comunication with Premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Maser View Post
    Looks like that just auto zooms the display, not the clips themselves...
    Hi Andy,
    Was wondering how you ended up solving this as I'm finishing my first project with SpeedGrade/PPro CC now and have approached it the same way.

Possibly things have improved with the October release?

Cheers,
    Steffen
    DIT and 2D/3D Character Animator (BFA, MA)
    London, UK (See http://brownianmotion.co.uk/ )
    Launched OnlyRental.dk in Copenhagen, Denmark.
    2011 REDucation UK - Advanced Group

I bought a Nvidia GTX 780 for my MacPro and edit from the original R3D files now in Premiere CC. Man, is that liberating. The new Premiere/SpeedGrade workflow is AMAZING! So easy. Not exactly sure how it would work if you're dealing with proxies and reconnecting to RAW. I imagine the Premiere to SG workflow with an EDL would go pretty smoothly, but you might lose the ability to bounce back and forth between the two apps.

Then again it might be easy. Haven't looked into it...
    Director/DP: National Geographic Creative
    Epic Dragon
    andymaser.com

Sweet. Yea, I'm excited about this workflow as well.

The studio that hired me to grade/finish this film began their edit on an iMac (3.2 GHz i5, 8 GB ram) with ProRes transcodes of the R3Ds that are in various sizes from 5K HD to 2K HD.
    So I'm looking at either replacing the transcodes with the raw files in Premiere now, or as I Direct Link to SG, or using an EDL workflow.
    Not sure how I will do it or if one way is better than another since it's new to me.

In CS6 this is what you are looking for.

Freelance Colorist
    http://www.dm-imaging.com
    Sample Images

RED One M 1948 "The Peacemaker"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Morrison View Post
    In CS6 this is what you are looking for.

Derek, Can you be a little more specific or detailed in your reply?
    I've started by trying to replace the .mov files with their .r3d counterpart in PPro CC but simply replacing them misses the fact that the transcodes were all set to 2K HD so any pan/scan keyframes are not being retained.
    I want to figure out the best way to swap the clips out and keep the framing info, to which I think you are alluding.

The selected option in blue will scale all footage to the output resolution using the width of the image as the scaling derivative. The option just to the right will do a center crop using the height as the scaling derivative.

Did you reframe using the 2K proxies? or does that help you?
    Freelance Colorist
    http://www.dm-imaging.com
    Sample Images

RED One M 1948 "The Peacemaker"