Thread: Tutorials for Newcomers to Premiere Pro

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    A temporary but full-featured ref file that has rendered out all the fixes, edits, audio tracks, etc for a final 1080p 8Ch (individual 5.1 tracks +2 stereo track) file, usually in ProRes with LinearPCM/Uncompressed audio. This way we can check if everything we did looks ok in say Quicktime, and do a full saveout or export from this ref file, instead of saving out the whole movie first and then finding there was an issue. Thanks for the help Brad, looking forward to anything you're able to put together!

Hey Chase,

That sounds extremely powerful! As far as I know there is no way to do this with Premiere :(. Maybe we can throw in a feature request for something like this though?

As far as I understand it (and I could be wrong), does a reference file simply reference the source material that FCP is working with? Or does it reference FCP render files?

I'm just trying to think about what Adobe would need to do to get this working being that they are working with native file formats and you can do a whole edit without generating any per-render files.
    Brad Allen

mob: +61 411 350 829
    web: unravel.com.au
    Scarlet-X: #308

If no render-type edits are made, Final Cut Pro can very quickly save a reference movie (by un-checking the "Save As Self-Contained" option), as there are no render files to point to in a timeline like this, only source material. If such render-required edits are there, it will require the time to render (either video or audio, whatever is needed) which sometimes is very quick or very long based on how much and what type of work has been done (i.e., generating a line of text = quick render, key-framing = longer render), but the final reference file will point to both the original source material as well as the render files folder.

So basically, the reference file should indeed look like the planned final output. We use it to check that our audio outputs are to the correct channels, that all renders completed, and everything looks as expected. It's a pretty nifty tool to be able to be confident in your final product before the time-consuming saveouts.

Thanks for all the help Brad! Looking forward to getting to know the whole Adobe suite more, especially once the Scarlet comes in!

export form redcine x to premiere and then back to redcine to export in 3/4/5k because video can't be exported in 4k in premiere (I think it can't)

Quote Originally Posted by Chase M. Wrenn View Post
    If no render-type edits are made, Final Cut Pro can very quickly save a reference movie (by un-checking the "Save As Self-Contained" option), as there are no render files to point to in a timeline like this, only source material. If such render-required edits are there, it will require the time to render (either video or audio, whatever is needed) which sometimes is very quick or very long based on how much and what type of work has been done (i.e., generating a line of text = quick render, key-framing = longer render), but the final reference file will point to both the original source material as well as the render files folder.

So basically, the reference file should indeed look like the planned final output. We use it to check that our audio outputs are to the correct channels, that all renders completed, and everything looks as expected. It's a pretty nifty tool to be able to be confident in your final product before the time-consuming saveouts.

Thanks for all the help Brad! Looking forward to getting to know the whole Adobe suite more, especially once the Scarlet comes in!
    Hmm, just thinking about this Chase, I'm wondering how this would work if we were editing R3D files in Premiere. If we wanted to make a reference file with R3d's referenced, then the playback software would need to be able to playback R3D's natively too right? Perhaps this could be one problem that needs to be overcome before something like this could be implemented?

On another note, finished the first basic overview tutorial tonight. Will get it uploaded soon :)
    Brad Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Allen View Post
    Hmm, just thinking about this Chase, I'm wondering how this would work if we were editing R3D files in Premiere. If we wanted to make a reference file with R3d's referenced, then the playback software would need to be able to playback R3D's natively too right? Perhaps this could be one problem that needs to be overcome before something like this could be implemented?

On another note, finished the first basic overview tutorial tonight. Will get it uploaded soon :)
    That's true, unless REDCINE-X could playback reference R3D files, or quicktime wrappers were in effect, it probably can't be used with the native R3D files. But if proxy files are being used, or ProRes/DNxHD for offlines, a ref could be made of these timelines, and if pleased with the results, the footage could be reconnected to the original R3D files and a full saveout could be done. Not really sure how feasible that all is, just thinking out loud.

Looking forward to the tutorial :-)

- RedCine X Workflow for win premiere pro. (5K to CS5)
    - r3d to Premiere Pro including audio.

First video has been added on the original post. It covers the absolute basics of Premiere Pro. Make sure you let me know your thoughts - what could be improved, what's been missed etc.
    Brad Allen

Tutorial for RED basics in Premiere Pro has also been added to the first post :)
    Brad Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Allen View Post
    Tutorial for RED basics in Premiere Pro has also been added to the first post :)
    i'm new with red and this is very helpful, thanks