Thread: Tutorials for Newcomers to Premiere Pro

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the great tutorial!!

I've been using FCP7 with an Intensity card to capture tethered by 30' HDMI cable 'live', bypassing the mpeg conversion, etc. of my inexpensive video camera. I've been waiting for the Scarlet release to purchase a 'real' camera.

I purchased Production Premium 5.5 for Win7 when FCP X was released, my way of voting with my wallet.

I'd like to know if I can shoot Scarlet tethered like that, out of the hdmi. The hdmi goes from the camera to an HDMI switch which puts one output to a 22" monitor and sends the other upstairs to the Mac Pro..

It makes it very easy to shoot, get the levels perfect and immediately review the footage.

I was thinking that if I could also shoot 4K with Scarlet at the same time to flash, this would have some advantages, but I'm curious if any come to mind?

1. If I'm at 4K in the Scarlet, what comes out of the HDMI? Is it re-sampled 1080p from the 4K? Does sound also come out?

2. I've never used Premiere at all yet. Can I shoot tethered using Premiere 5.5 with the Scarlet? I've got a Matrox mx02 mini in addition to the Intensity card

3. One last question. How much time does it take to create final output, which for me has generally been h.264 sized for the web - and also one of the BluRay codecs.

I have a 2GB GTX 285 on my Win7 now, but am looking into upgrading the card.

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lliam Worthington View Post
    Fantastic Brad. Very generous, highly informative, well presented and incredibly useful. Especially for me. And I'm only half way in :)

You had already advised me very helpfully on my workflow a couple of months ago. Not sure if you would recall.
    I would also second Steve's request above thanks. And also wondering if is there anything I ned to know about using Colourista II inside AE in that workflow? (you had already advised me it was a bit of a Ram hog I seem to recall)

I'm based in NSW on the central coast - in beautiful Copacabana beach. Where are you based? Seem to think it was Brissy I thought I'd read somewhere?
    Anyway, love to buy you a beer/coffee and lunch and talk Scarlet and film etc with you if your of a mind sometime.

Regardless thanks again for your awesome contribution mate.

Best Wishes

Lliam
    Hi Lliam!

Very pleased to hear you got something out of it :)

Regarding your workflow with Colorista II in AE and Premiere, I'm hoping that whatever I put together for the integration between these two should help you out. There shouldn't be anything too tricky or out of the ordinary. Let me know if you have specific queries though ;)

I'm actually based in NSW too - Maitland/Newcastle area. Maybe you were thinking of Mark Toia in Brissy? Ha - either way I would love to meet up with you and have a chat. I'll shoot you a PM :)

Cheers
    Brad Allen

mob: +61 411 350 829
    web: unravel.com.au
    Scarlet-X: #308

Quote Originally Posted by Les C. View Post
    1. If I'm at 4K in the Scarlet, what comes out of the HDMI? Is it re-sampled 1080p from the 4K? Does sound also come out?

2. I've never used Premiere at all yet. Can I shoot tethered using Premiere 5.5 with the Scarlet? I've got a Matrox mx02 mini in addition to the Intensity card

3. One last question. How much time does it take to create final output, which for me has generally been h.264 sized for the web - and also one of the BluRay codecs.

I have a 2GB GTX 285 on my Win7 now, but am looking into upgrading the card.

Thanks!!!!
    Hi Les, I'm actually not going to be all that much help with your queries here as I'm not familiar with that sort of a workflow.

1. If Scarlet works in the same way as the EPIC (it should), then you should get a 1080p output from HDMI. Not sure if it has sound or not sorry.

2. I have no idea if you can shoot tethered or not - I'm kind of doubting it. In the old days when capturing via firewire, I used to be able to just point the camera at something and hit capture - but that was a long time ago.

3. The time that a final export takes will be variable and depends on a lot of different things such as: the specs of the machine you are working on, the resolution you are working with, the format of footage you are using, what effects (if any) are applied, whether you have any h.264 acceleration cards installed, the length of the footage, whether it is being downscaled and which quality setting you have selected for export. There is no easy answer unfortunately!
    Brad Allen

Awesome job, I worked through the 2nd video ... makes r3d cake. I especially like your explanation of the "source settings" window ... i hadn't used that much. Now finding simple color presets that quickly (like seconds) allow me to view/scan dailies(allows me to skip a couple of steps in my flow). Copying that file to all the weird subdirectories so you don't get the import errors ... took me a few minutes. Still not sure why i had to copy to three spots (i guess the media encoder and after effects all need separate copies). Anyway, thanks !

can you please upload this r3d footage (with space shuttle) that we can do exactly same things you do in tutorial

thanks in advance

Matija, the Space Shuttle footage was uploaded by RED a few months ago. You can still find it here:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-Landing/page2

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    Awesome job, I worked through the 2nd video ... makes r3d cake. I especially like your explanation of the "source settings" window ... i hadn't used that much. Now finding simple color presets that quickly (like seconds) allow me to view/scan dailies(allows me to skip a couple of steps in my flow). Copying that file to all the weird subdirectories so you don't get the import errors ... took me a few minutes. Still not sure why i had to copy to three spots (i guess the media encoder and after effects all need separate copies). Anyway, thanks !
    Hey Patrick! Which file are you referring to? The .rmd?
    Brad Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin van Dijck View Post
    Matija, the Space Shuttle footage was uploaded by RED a few months ago. You can still find it here:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-Landing/page2
    oh, I didn't know for this, thank You very much

Senior Member Lliam Worthington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Allen View Post
    Hi Lliam!

Very pleased to hear you got something out of it :)

Regarding your workflow with Colorista II in AE and Premiere, I'm hoping that whatever I put together for the integration between these two should help you out. There shouldn't be anything too tricky or out of the ordinary. Let me know if you have specific queries though ;)

I'm actually based in NSW too - Maitland/Newcastle area. Maybe you were thinking of Mark Toia in Brissy? Ha - either way I would love to meet up with you and have a chat. I'll shoot you a PM :)

Cheers
    Cheers for all that Brad, that's great. Ha, yeah I was probably getting my Aussies confused.
    Look forward to catching up as per our PM's.

Best Wishes

Lliam

one question, when I make color correction in redcine x on some footage, how can I import that footage (with different color correction then original) to premiere, when I try to import that r3d file I got same color correction as original, even when I make r3d trim with different cc, again in premiere is original