Thread: Tutorials for Newcomers to Premiere Pro

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Hi Matija - If you have saved your adjustments to the rmd file in RedCine-X then simply go intro Premiere > Look in the Project Panel > Find Your Desired Clip > Right Click > Source Settings > Click "Reload from RMD"

That will tell Premiere to reload the metadata for that clip from the RMD (which you have updated in RedCine-X)
    Brad Allen

mob: +61 411 350 829
    web: unravel.com.au
    Scarlet-X: #308

Brad,
    Thanks for your generosity and sharing this great information. I've bookmarked this page and will be watching the videos this weekend.

One question, and I apologize in advance if it's outside the scope of these videos... But I've had trouble in the past with the R3D workflow in Premiere CS5, mainly with playback on my mac. On 1/4 and even 1/8 playback quality, I get stutters and freezes playing from the R3D's, with a new Mac that should be plenty capable. Can you recommend any video cards? I currenly have an ATI Radeon HD 5870, but it doesn't support the CUDA playback and I think that's where I'm having troubles. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Taylor,

I find that playback of Red footage (before any effects are applied) is pretty similar whether I am using CUDA acceleration on the GPU or just using the CPU in software mode instead. This seems to be because debayering of a Red frame is always done on the CPU and not the GPU (unless you have a Red Rocket of course). Being that is the case, I'm wondering if something else could be the issue on your end? What sort of storage system do you have your Red files playing back from? Is it possible that the drives can't keep up?
    Brad Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Allen View Post
    What sort of storage system do you have your Red files playing back from? Is it possible that the drives can't keep up?
    I'm not technical... but since most computers at least use SATA for the hard drive, and that is potentially 3Gb/s, that should be enough for a Scarlet data stream?

Hey Patrick! Which file are you referring to? The .rmd?
    the "importerRed" and the "importerRedServer" files ... of which there are three copies, and I copied each set to different directories(i think i did it right, atleast premier is working). I btw also had to overwrite files of the same name when i did this(the ones I overwrote had more current update dates ... but which btw where giving me file failures).

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin van Dijck View Post
    I'm not technical... but since most computers at least use SATA for the hard drive, and that is potentially 3Gb/s, that should be enough for a Scarlet data stream?
    SATA starts at 1.5Gb's (SATAII is 3Gb/s), but that's only for the interface itself and does not necessarily indicate the drive's performance. Also, if the footage was sorted on a single external drive, the chances are that the driver would be a slower performing.

So even if the interface is capable quite capable for playback, the drive that is using the interface may not be :)
    Brad Allen

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    the "importerRed" and the "importerRedServer" files ... of which there are three copies, and I copied each set to different directories(i think i did it right, atleast premier is working). I btw also had to overwrite files of the same name when i did this(the ones I overwrote had more current update dates ... but which btw where giving me file failures).
    Oh right! You're talking about the Epic Importer Plugin! Ha. Gotcha. Yeah, AE, Ppro and AME all need their own copies of the files :)
    Brad Allen

Hi Matija - If you have saved your adjustments to the rmd file in RedCine-X then simply go intro Premiere > Look in the Project Panel > Find Your Desired Clip > Right Click > Source Settings > Click "Reload from RMD"

That will tell Premiere to reload the metadata for that clip from the RMD (which you have updated in RedCine-X)
    thanks for answer, and one more qouestion, maybe it's stupid but i'm new with red, how to save RMD file, because I have r3d file without .rmd file

I'm new to RED as well (at least in terms of owning and working with), and this is all awesomely helpful info.
    SCARLET-X #65: "Ruby"
    www.vimeo.com/Chasefox
    www.QuiverDigital.com
    Anyone interested in getting their work on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc...let me know.

New tutorial posted guys covering some more technical and advanced aspects of working with R3D footage in Premiere. It's been added to the first post :)

As per usual, make sure to let me know if there are any questions or things I have made confusing!
    Brad Allen