Why should I prefer RED TOUCH 5.0" LCD over DP6-SDI — 5.6" Field Monitor?
Price is more and the resolution is less compared to the DP6. Has anyone used any other monitor? Please advise.
Also I am considering getting the 256 Redmag, mainly to save $600 over the 64gb pack. Has anyone faced problems with the 256mag.
Thanks in Advance
I have gathered, made quick edits and listed out the suggestions from different users:
1. Only way to control the camera unless you have a side handle or REDMote.
2. Touch-control menu access AND touch-screen focus control are plus points
3. The touch is powered by the brain, you will need a battery for the DP6
4. Checked by a user on the Epic - the only way to control the audio levels was the touch screen, You can get to the audio input screen with the redmote or side handle but the side handle and the redmote dials did not adjust the levels.
He does not know if this is also the case on the scarlet.
5. The RED Touch is a touchscreen (like an iPad or iPhone) that communicates back to the camera allowing you to change settings on the camera. A Dp6 is just an SDI (or HDMI) monitor that does not 'communicate' back to the camera.
6. If you want the easiest way to control the camera (including turning over 10 feet away by double tapping it) as well as judging focus get the Touchscreen.
1. Outside the 5.0 Touch LCD Red monitor was near impossible to see and so low of resolution that critical focus was very hard for bad eyes. If you can get a side handle, I would go with the DP6
2. DP6 is definitely the way to go for focus. The color is very close between the two, and the 5" is a great image for its size. If I didn't have the DP6 it would be a lot harder to check focus exclusively off the 5"
Download the EPIC manual - Not exactly the same as the Scarlet, but we've been led to believe that they will operate the same way. Lot's of info to digest about what the monitor will help you do as far as exposure control etc.
Conclusion: If you think you will be missing out on some features offered by the RedTouch get Red Monitor
If Focus and resolution is important than other features of Red monitor get DP6.