A few stills from last night...
A few stills from last night...
Last edited by Brandon J.F.; 01-26-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Everything was shot with my 22MM LOMO and lit with a Cool Lights LED 600, a cheap small LED and whatever light was available where we shot. Oh, and we used an iPhone flash as an eyelight sometimes.
There was 0 prep time, talent was an hour late and we ended up with less than 45 minutes to prep, light AND shoot.
thank you for providing r3d's with this interesting lens. Unfortunately, they are no more available, the file hoster is blocked. If you could upload them again it would be nice, but I understand if that is too much trouble. Thanks anyway, the intention counts.
I'll look for another host so I can upload some more r3ds for people to play with.Here are some stills from some tests today...
Last edited by Brandon J.F.; 01-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.
I like the softer image quality of these lenses (and whatever post-processing you're using), when used on well lit portrait type shots, as seen in the pictures you've been posting lately (and in comparison to the earlier landscape shots). I could be wrong, but I think I'm seeing here too some examples of the benefits of having a degree of softness captured at the point of recording as opposed to only adding it in via post-processing effects. I think you'd have to know what you're doing though (as you obviously do) and be able to control all the elements within the shots in order to avoid having those lens qualities work against you. So, yeah, having people turn up late and having no time to prepare really wouldn't suit this kind of image-making. It's not exactly your typical point and shoot kind of stuff.
Thanks for the comments Les. What I am posting are just tests and experiments. It's all about learning the camera, the lenses, and how far I can push things both during the shoot and in post to achieve the type of look I want. These lenses are a bit whacky, but that's why I got them. I like the imperfections and the "character" they add to the image.
As far as post-processing goes it's all over the map. It's a mixture of RCX-Pro, Adobe Camera Raw, Photoshop and Davinci Resolve for Windows. I have a new Sandy Bridge-E workstation, but the video card I have doesn't play well with RCX-Pro (it's a known bug that will be fixed) so I'm starting on my laptop. Unfortunately the mobile CUDA card I have is not recognized by RCX-Pro so I'm somewhat limited there too (slow and certain features are not enabled). I quite like what I've done in Resolve for Windows, which will run ok on my new workstation, but anytime I export a still (tiff, jpg) it looks quite a bit different than what I was seeing inside Resolve. I have no idea if this is user error or just a beta issue. I expect that over the next month or so the workflow issues will be resolved. Both the issues related to using beta software and those related to user error :)
I'm going to go out and shoot some more landscape stuff soon, but with proper ND and IR filtration. I also have a lens test chart I am going to shoot with each lens. I'll post the results.
Edit - Removed response to LD and rest of conversational response to BJF deemed useless. Moving on.
Last edited by Les Hillis; 01-28-2012 at 02:19 PM.
This was a camera test shot out a window. I was critical of it myself and in this very thread. These are not finished works. These are tests and experiments. I'm all for constructive criticism, but there is nothing constructive about what he said nor was there anything of use in your last comment. I kindly ask you both go pollute another thread.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|