Thread: These Cables Work. (And why)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    If I'm not working with an audio recordist with a TC recorder, I run all audio through a Sound Devices Mix Pre-D. It provides phantom power, great preamps, meters, mic-level outs and has a nice, small form factor. I use the Hosa XVS cables to connect the Mix Pre-D to the Epic.
    Thanks for this thread, would have saved me hours of headaches.

Do you have to pad the output of the mix pre?

Quote Originally Posted by James Brundige View Post
    Thanks for this thread, would have saved me hours of headaches.

Do you have to pad the output of the mix pre?
    You're welcome. Your problems were the inspiration for this thread, so at least some good has come of it.

Sound Devices makes both something called a "MixPre" and something called a "MixPre-D". I have the "MixPre-D". I do not have to pad the output, because its output is switchable between Mic level and Line level. I just switch it to Mic level.

I have never used the "MixPre" so I can't tell you whether it can put out a Mic level. From other posts I've seen here, I suspect that it may not be able to do that, but I try not to speculate too much on things I really don't know.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

James, I use this to pad the mixpre output:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-ATT-448-F...8288707&sr=8-1
    set at -40dB works well

Had I seen this sticky first it would have saved me a lot of wasted time... Maybe RED should throw one of the proper cables, with a wiring
    description, in with their Epic/Scarlet packages??? That would cost RED very little and save their customers some headaches.
    Rob Sweeney, DP

Does anyone know if Wooden Camera's A box is wired this way?
    Micajah Smithson
    Producer/Director
    West Coast Projections, Inc.
    San Diego, CA

Thanks for the concise info. Much appreciated!
    Ryan Holdridge

Vigil Films
    951-237-4661

PROBLEM SOLVED: FRESH BATTERIES IN MIC :)

I have just recieved two of these cables and am trying to use them with a Senheiser shotgun mic. I am getting lots of noise and feeback from the camera...

Maybe I have the wrong mic? It is an unidentified Senheiser shotgun. It has a AA battery, a little black switch ("BATT. ON") and then an inlayed switch that is red with a line and an angled line next to it. The LED doesnt seem to illumitate when I push the switch up to BATT ON. I am not sure if this mic is needs phantom power or not...maybe that is the problem?

However when I put the dB above 35-40 I can hear noise/feedback from the fan (which changes pitch as per fan speed), also clicking while recording, which all amount to an unusable signal...

Any advice out there? How to ID an unmarked Senheiser Mic? How to know if thats the problem?

EDIT: I tried multiple batteries....

EDIT 2: When AC power is attached the noise is DEF greater.

EDIT 3: I think I am using the Sennheiser ME66/K6
    Last edited by Jack Shanahan; 02-21-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    Jack Shanahan
    Director of Photography
    www.jackshanahan.com

Nice
    Thanks
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    No. As Stephen says above, there is no phantom power to get. The release notes for every firmware build so far have said:

If I'm not working with an audio recordist with a TC recorder, I run all audio through a Sound Devices Mix Pre-D. It provides phantom power, great preamps, meters, mic-level outs and has a nice, small form factor. I use the Hosa XVS cables to connect the Mix Pre-D to the Epic.
    +1 on the sound devices. Gorgeous sounding pre amp. For a cheaper run and gun application I believe you can use one of those zoom recorders to pass the audio on to the epic. Use the onboard mics or plug in your own condenser. It provides phantom power.

Thanks so much for the great info, D! I had 3 cables made to the HOSA specs you described and they work perfectly on my Scarlet.