Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Progress on CF module quality issue?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Progress on CF module quality issue? 
    It was reported awhile ago by some users that the CF module was less that robust. The slot was causing mis-alignment of the card to the pins and damaging them. I think that this was after the first batch that had the problem of the card going too far into the module.

Can someone from Red confirm that this has been fixed?

Many thanks,

adam
    Adam Jeal
    Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
    www.acoustic-space.com
    www.static-film.com
    www.twitter.com/adamjeal

I never used any of the first 100 cameras, but 291 has not had any issues with the alignment. However looking at the SD slot on the bottom last night and it looks a bit "wonky" but seems to work fine. And by wonky I mean you can see a little bit of the PCB that the card connects to sticking out a bit. Seems to work fine though, and since it's on the bottom you can't see it unless you have the camera stripped and upside-down, which is a position she doesn't like to be in.
    J.D. Frey
    dead workers party

Haven't had any issues with the CF slot. It feels a bit more loose than on my Nikon.

The CF slot is a bit loose or sloppy. But not as bad as a lot of CF readers out there. I don't think it will be a problem as long as you take that extra second to make sure you have the card lined up right. Just don't get in a big hurry and put it in side-ways. That causes bent pins or other problems.

I would have preferred a tighter fitting slot with an eject button like on most DSLRs. But there's also a lot to be said about being able to just push it in and pull it out quickly. I think one reason the slot has a little slop to it is to accommodate variances in CF card manufacturing and I think thickness can differ as part of the spec. For example "microdrive" CF cards tend to be thicker than most FLASH based cards, yet they still fit into most every slot out there.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

5. #5 sorry being OT, but 
    Quote Originally Posted by solecize View Post
    ..which is a position she doesn't like to be in.
    I like that one.
    Treat her like a lady :love:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    For example "microdrive" CF cards tend to be thicker than most FLASH based cards, yet they still fit into most every slot out there.
    It seems strange they would size the CF slot to accomodate microdrives, since the fastest microdrives are more than 10 times too slow to be used with the camera!

Red One should really have a precise-fitting compact flash slot that give no opportunity to insert a card wrong. Anything else is a disaster waiting to happen.

7. #7 Upside down 
    Quote Originally Posted by solecize View Post
    I never used any of the first 100 cameras, but 291 has not had any issues with the alignment. However looking at the SD slot on the bottom last night and it looks a bit "wonky" but seems to work fine. And by wonky I mean you can see a little bit of the PCB that the card connects to sticking out a bit. Seems to work fine though, and since it's on the bottom you can't see it unless you have the camera stripped and upside-down, which is a position she doesn't like to be in.
    This is the first time I've heard that there's an issue with upside down. Is there an over-heating problem when shooting upside down?? It's hard to imagine. Maybe I'm reading too much into this and it's only a pun. There may be times when it is necessary to shoot upside down for an effect.

The only issues I had with the CF module [which were not alignment related] were fixed by RED. The alignment thing is easy to overcome: just insert the CF with some care. Get the CF aligned on its guides and push it in until you feel contact with the pins. Then complete the insertion with a square final push. No bent CF pins yet. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    The only issues I had with the CF module [which were not alignment related] were fixed by RED. The alignment thing is easy to overcome: just insert the CF with some care. Get the CF aligned on its guides and push it in until you feel contact with the pins. Then complete the insertion with a square final push. No bent CF pins yet. :)
    Hi Brook,

I'm not worried about myself, as I tend to be very careful. I'm more concerned about other AC's on shoots that i'm DITing. What were your issues by the way?
    Adam Jeal
    Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
    www.acoustic-space.com
    www.static-film.com
    www.twitter.com/adamjeal

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kalbach View Post
    This is the first time I've heard that there's an issue with upside down. Is there an over-heating problem when shooting upside down??
    I think he just means that because the camera is flat on the bottom but curved (or has a handle attached) on top, it doesn't stay put upside down too well. No overheating problems in that scenario that I know of. :-)

I had some bad issues with my original CF module, but RED replaced it for free and right away when I brought it to their attention. I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces since I got the new one (I will this weekend), but it seems to be responding better than it did previously which is a good sign.

I would vote strongly for an eject button as well, but I'm not sure if the modules they are using have that as an option. It's just a piece (that as far as I know is made by someone else) that they screw into their case - I don't know if it's possible to modify it to the degree that many of us would like.