Thread: A Place for EPIC Audio Tips (feb 2012), Phantom Power info, etc

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, what I did is purchases a Zoom H4n. I'm thinking of mounting it on my belt, and record through its xlr in. At the same time I plan to use the headphone out and then through a mini jack cable connect it to the epic, and use the Epic's headphone out to monitor. Is this possible? That way I get 2 recordings, with the zoom being the master and the red internal a reference for easy matching with something like plural eyes... Anyone tried this workflow? What I'm laking right now for this test is a mini jack cable. Will a regular one work for this?
    Sérgio Perez

EPIC-X 2029 "Lilau" in Macau!

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Well, what I did is purchases a Zoom H4n. I'm thinking of mounting it on my belt, and record through its xlr in. At the same time I plan to use the headphone out and then through a mini jack cable connect it to the epic, and use the Epic's headphone out to monitor. Is this possible? That way I get 2 recordings, with the zoom being the master and the red internal a reference for easy matching with something like plural eyes... Anyone tried this workflow? What I'm laking right now for this test is a mini jack cable. Will a regular one work for this?
    Confirming that this works just fine, Sergio. I found for my purposes that the sweet spot for the HP/Line out is around 80 and the levels in camera around -24db.

My epic, only records on one channel.. The audio sounds horrible and there is clicking sound evry second or two.. Red tech wants me to send it in but is there possibly something im not doing correctly... Not that we use camera audio, except for scratch , but I still would like clean audio from both channels... Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Beatty View Post
    Confirming that this works just fine, Sergio. I found for my purposes that the sweet spot for the HP/Line out is around 80 and the levels in camera around -24db.
    Doug, thanks a lot, great info ! That's why this forum and our community is excellent!
    Sérgio Perez

EPIC-X 2029 "Lilau" in Macau!

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
    I tried with a Beachteck (I think it´s called), but I didn´t get any sound I thought. But was I wrong?
    I never actually recorded anything, I just saw that the levels didn´t move. Are you guys saying that the levels don´t work, even if the Epic records sound?
    Most assuredly, the Beachtek (a rather lower quality device, IMO, to begin with) has a stereo mini-plug output whereas the input jacks on the Epic/Scarlet are both TRS mono. Not compatible. Won't work. There's a lot of discussion about the popper wiring and inputs here on RU.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Kramer View Post
    My epic, only records on one channel.. The audio sounds horrible and there is clicking sound evry second or two.. Red tech wants me to send it in but is there possibly something im not doing correctly... Not that we use camera audio, except for scratch , but I still would like clean audio from both channels... Anyone?
    What are you feeding into the camera?

If you solved the clicking problem with the tape, and you are using the proper cabling, you should be able to get very clean audio on the Epic. On both channels.

Another posting said Red fixed the clicking when he sent his camera in.

Has Red ever chimed in on this problem?

Could anyone from RED give us an estimate on a date for phantom power on the epic?

thanks
    --Matt--

What are people's experience with the Epics audio limiter? I have had some clients complain that high levels hitting the limiter causes the subsequent audio levels to temporarily drop then recover. I have disabled the limiter and have no problems.
    Tom Gleeson

I would disable the audio limiter, and instead rely on an external mixer, preferably one operated by a human being. As one example, the limiters on the Sound Devices products are good and reliable, but I don't suggest you hit them too hard.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant