Thread: Scarlets Rolling Shutter Value for Foundry Plug-In

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Scarlets Rolling Shutter Value for Foundry Plug-In 
    Rolling Shutter isnt really an issue on the Scarlet (especially for those coming from 7D or 5D, like me ;-) But for VFX-Work it still needs to be corrected ... Anybody already did extensive testing with The Foundry Plug-In? On the Foundry Website there are a lot of values already online, but the Scarlet is missing ... even the Epic isn't mentioned. Any ideas? ...
    (Since I dont haven't bought that plug-in yet, a friend let's me use his suite for correcting a few shots, and i will not have time to test ... i pretty much have to nail it first take ... so i thought someone maybe already did a little testing @ 4K ;-)

• Canon 5D Mk2: 0.56
    • Canon 7D: 0.62
    • Red ONE: 0.32
    • Red ONE MX (F/W 30.6.10#30): 0.33
    • Panasonic Lumix GH2 without ETC - full sensor: 0.59
    • Panasonic Lumix GH2 with ETC 1:1 mode in 1080p: 0.30 - 0.38
    • Panasonic Lumix GH2 with ETC 1:1 mode in 720p: 0.60
    • Sony PMW EX-1: 0.38
    SCARLET #456
    sascharossier.com

Sascha - what are you using the corrected footage for?

Are you doing motion tracking or image stabilization (like in Dragoon Tattoo)?

The review I read mentioned that if you have a lot of motion in the scene, it can get confused. But, I'm unclear on what 'a lot' of motion would be for the plug-in - and whether it can correct in a manner suitable for motion tracking?

But, I'm very interested in your testing - as I don't have a Scarlet to test.

BTW - there is a 15 day trial for the plug-in: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/

I mainly need to correct the footage for motion tracking/object tracking. Until now I eventually even got decent tracks out of 7D-Footage, that was corrected with the plug-in. PF Track actually has its own rolling-shutter-routine, but the Foundry Plug works much better. If time permits i should really get the trial and test for myself - just hoped somebody already did the testing (my holy laziness ;-)
    SCARLET #456
    sascharossier.com