Thread: Anyone using eSata with their Red Station 1.8" and a PC?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Anyone using eSata with their Red Station 1.8" and a PC? 
    I can't seem to get it hot swappable, which makes the station really annoying to use... I enabled AHCI in Windows 7 and in my BIOS, but it still seems flakey... I'd like it act like a CF card reader: the drive exists if a SSD card is plugged into the station, and no drive exists if none is plugged in. What are other people's experience with using eSata for the station and a PC? I read that hot swappable eSata is not possible with a MAC.

I'm also getting weird transfer times. When copying data to the SSD card in the station, I'm getting great transfer rates from about 75 mb/s to 95 mb/s. BUT, when copying that same data off of the SSD card, I'm getting less than 1 mb/s! Something isn't right.

mine works real well, windows 7, mother board is Rampage IV Extreme. I didn't do anything aside from clicking it in. I don't power down the redstation while windows 7 is running because things hang for a bit (so i don't turn it off).
    http://www.youtube.com/patrickfaithart
    "Litl" #250 "Pudl" #397 of "Ink" (Monochrome) #3752

Mine is also working well, Sony Vaio laptop.

What happens when you pull the card out? Does the drive get removed from the list?

Mine works well as it shoot on an HP workstation. From what I understand, if the eSata port is added as a card, it may have hot swap problems, especialy depends on the manufacturor, some state they don't support hot swap. If the eSata is on the motherboard - then for sure it hot swaps.

Ok, with AHCI setup in my Bios properly, I can insert the SSD mag into the Red station and the 'drive' pops up. The only annoying thing is that when I pull it out, Windows 7 takes a long time to figure out that it isn't there.

The main problem now is not hot-swapping but rather transfer speed. I'm only getting about 2.5 mb/s when trying to copy data off the SSD mag to a hard drive in my computer. My hard drives are capable of 100 mb/s from my NAS. What is wrong?

Do you have a separate PCIE eSata card or are you using an eSata port onboard your mobo? I had similar issues with my onboard eSata port. Got a $25 eSata card and stopped having the issues. Also of note, I had to force the drivers that came with the pcie card onto the computer, even though when I first put in the card Windows 7 said that the drivers were good. I get around 75-100MB/s up and down. For small files I have maxed at 160.
    VigilanteHD - New York Video Production
    Scarlet #94 - NYC, Come Rent SOME!
    Have a Scarlet Package in New York? Looking to source out gear? Got a Red Rocket in your pocket? Join our google doc!

Quote Originally Posted by TonySegreto View Post
    Do you have a separate PCIE eSata card or are you using an eSata port onboard your mobo? I had similar issues with my onboard eSata port. Got a $25 eSata card and stopped having the issues. Also of note, I had to force the drivers that came with the pcie card onto the computer, even though when I first put in the card Windows 7 said that the drivers were good. I get around 75-100MB/s up and down. For small files I have maxed at 160.
    Can you share which $25 esata card you are referring to?

VigilanteHD - New York Video Production
    Scarlet #94 - NYC, Come Rent SOME!
    Have a Scarlet Package in New York? Looking to source out gear? Got a Red Rocket in your pocket? Join our google doc!