Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Redcine X - 2:40 center cut extraction

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Redcine X - 2:40 center cut extraction 
    Hi,

I am an editor for a short film shooting on Epic. DP is looking to do a 2:40 center cut extraction (4122x1718) from 5k 2:1 for the shoot as the director wants to have a bit of room to do any slight reframing if need be. I`m wondering when I bring those R3D`s into Red Cine X Pro, will the center extract already be applied to the footage automatically through the meta data, or do I need to apply the center extract on the all of the clips manually through the framing tab.

And also, I`m currently messing with a sample EPIC R3D in RedCine`s framing tab, and I`m having trouble figuring out how to readjust the framing of my custom 2:40 center cut preset without having to drag the edges. I know you can locked the aspect ratio to 2:39 and adjust the edges of the crop to reframe, but I`m finding it a bit of a pain/imprecise and I would like to just be able to grab a center point and tweak the locked crop to where I want it on the 2:1 image.

If anyone could help I`d appreciate it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Alex Olinger; 03-13-2012 at 05:42 PM.

5K 2:1 Loads in RedCineX as a 2:1 image, You reframe then do the centercut to your codex of choice. Nothing is done until you transcode. The may be a way to automate some of this through redline but I have not test the redline workflow for center cut extraction and re-framing. Not sure how much has been included in the redline command structure to do what you want.
    CliffHouse Media, LLC

Camera Rentals, Red Production, Post Workflow
    2 EPIC M's, 2 EPIC X's, 2 RED One's
    www.cliffhousemedia.com
    (310) 622-3073
    Los Angeles, CA & Denver, CO

3.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Olinger View Post
    Hi,

I am an editor for a short film shooting on Epic. DP is looking to do a 2:40 center cut extraction (4122x1718) from 5k 2:1 for the shoot as the director wants to have a bit of room to do any slight reframing if need be. I`m wondering when I bring those R3D`s into Red Cine X Pro, will the center extract already be applied to the footage automatically through the meta data, or do I need to apply the center extract on the all of the clips manually through the framing tab.

And also, I`m currently messing with a sample EPIC R3D in RedCine`s framing tab, and I`m having trouble figuring out how to readjust the framing of my custom 2:40 center cut preset without having to drag the edges. I know you can locked the aspect ratio to 2:39 and adjust the edges of the crop to reframe, but I`m finding it a bit of a pain/imprecise and I would like to just be able to grab a center point and tweak the locked crop to where I want it on the 2:1 image.

If anyone could help I`d appreciate it.

Thanks
    The center crop can be pulled in from metadata as the "Frame Guides" or "Action Guides" from the camera if the camera was setup to use the Frame Guides or Action Guides as the output size.
    If the camera was setup this way you will have a "Frame Guide" and or "Action Guide" option show up in the pull down where you choose "Center Crop" or "Custom".

I'm not sure what you mean by being able to grab a center point and tweak a locked crop on a "Center" crop.. as a center crop means from the center of the image area (Equal distance from top and bottom, and left and right edges of the image). If you want to crop image data that is off center then you would set it to Custom which doesn't lock you to the center of the image at all. You can also Move the whole crop area at once by holding down command and dragging.

So in the crop section of Red Cine X pro, I have a frame guide option and this means that on set this is what they saw? If that's the case I may export my transcodes with the "frame guide" for the offline, just to save additional export time when showing to the client. The only thing I see is that you lose the option of repositioning the image up/down in the offline, as opposed to creating a matte in the NLE.