Thread: "new Ipad" (3) , how do I get highest quality demo video on it ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 "new Ipad" (3) , how do I get highest quality demo video on it ? 
    So I walked into a mall, and picked up the ipad with the 2k screen.
    ( no line, in stock ! )

My question is how should I get a video on it with the absolute highest quality playback ?
    Even if I have to use 1920 x 1080, what do "iusers" recommend for HQ encoding and playing ?
    I'm not really an Apple guy. So PC tools would be my choice for prepping.
    I'm sure other redusers are after the exact same thing as well.
    Thanks!
    -Les Dittert

DropBox works really well. My favorite though, is the Goodreader app. It allows you to connect to DropBox and other servers as well.

create a HD H264 or MP4 movies....

Put the movies you have just made into Itunes and then transfer to your IPAD... :)

Nice and simple...
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Mark, I haven't tried the iTunes method recently but it used to limit the resolution and size of video files transferred to the iPad. The iPad 2 was easily capable of playing high bitrate video but you had to get it on there using a different method.

Ok,
    But is silly apple re-encoding / crushing it one more time, to some horrid bitrate?
    If so, is there a recommended encode parameter to at least avoid this?

I certainly hope Apple uped the max bitrates for the increased power of the new iPad!
    -Les Dittert

Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Thanks for the links Mark.
    I looked up the avplayerhd, and see that it hasn't been updated in 2012 . While it may still play true 1920 video, does anyone know if it really does?
    what I mean is: if I play a test pattern, will it show 960 line pairs horizontal resolution ?
    call me picky, but when I mean 1080p, I mean 1080p ;)
    -Les Dittert

Quote Originally Posted by Les Dittert View Post
    Ok, But is silly apple re-encoding / crushing it one more time, to some horrid bitrate? If so, is there a recommended encode parameter to at least avoid this?
    I think available storage limits are going to be a bigger factor. You really want to watch uncompressed 2K on a device with 64GB of storage? Realistically, I think playing a TS2 Blu-ray MPEG file would be perfectly acceptable. And that's gonna take up 25GB right there, for a simple Blu-ray movie.

Again, this is still an 8-bit device, and it's a monitor that can't be calibrated and has no setup controls (at least to my knowledge).
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Got the iPad yesterday and tried to throw on Tom's 2.5k Timescapes trailer as a good demo for folks to oooohh and awwww over, but after a fair amount of testing it seems to be limited to 1080p as a maximum resolution. (A good quick way to get a copy is the 500 meg direct download from Vimeo at 1080p, though it wouldn't load through iTunes, more on that in a sec).

I tried encodes at 2.5k, 2k, and 1080p with and without audio, in the native video app and with CineXPlayer (a 3rd party video player that I really like) and in all cases only 1080p content worked. The bit rate can be through the roof though. Bluray level bitrate at around 20 megabit and above worked fine with h.264 high profile and some of the fancier psycho-visual stuff turned on (If you have a lot of detail in the shadows, enabling 'No DCT Decimate' in Handbrakes advanced settings prevents it from auto-crushing the blacks). Just be careful with your audio format. From testing, it seems like having multiple audio tracks or 5.1 Ac3 audio can cause problems at times.

CineXPlayer is less restrictive than adding files to the native video app. It plays the Timescapes trailer fine, while iTunes won't copy it over natively.

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill,
    I was testing PlayerXtreme , and was having some issues with it at 8Mb/sec. It also looks like it actually scales the video up to 2K and then back to 1920 .... which is really odd.
    I can see this because I placed a small pixel-on-pixel-off pattern in the center of my test video. I was hoping it would get played with no scaling artifacts.

So Cinexplayer can play the 2.5K timescapes trailer ? Or is that the 1920 version ?
    -Les Dittert