Thread: Resolve Lite Vs Colourists II

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Resolve Lite Vs Colourists II 
    Senior Member Lliam Worthington's Avatar
    Would love to hear from those with expertise in CC as to how you see these two apps compare and why.

Thanks in advance

Lliam
    Scarlet X # 517

Cant say i'm an CC expert, but I've been learning Resolve the past few weeks and its very user friendly and super powerful. REALLY REALLY smart design. It's also the industry standard and free, so i'd just skip colorista if I were you. My 2 cents. ; )
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Thanks Jake, appreciate your input.
    Scarlet X # 517

Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    Resolve works in real time (depending on your hardware), while Colorista II is pretty slow... I would definitively get into Resolve instead of Colorista.
    a better TRUTH | film production, rental & sales

http://www.a-better-truth.com

Visit my webstore at www.store-abt.de

Amimon | Blackmagic Design | Bright Tangerine | DJI | Fiilex | Hanse Inno Tech | smallHD| Teradek | Schneider Kreuznach | SpectraCal | Wooden Camera | Xeen and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Cant say i'm an CC expert, but I've been learning Resolve the past few weeks and its very user friendly and super powerful. REALLY REALLY smart design. It's also the industry standard and free, so i'd just skip colorista if I were you. My 2 cents. ; )

It's AN industry standard. However, in "real" post facilities you'll find just as many, if not more, colorists using Baselight, Lustre, Pablo, and Film Master as you will Resolve. On the desktop, for individual users, what you say is largely true, primarily because of the price (or lack of it).

And, for the record, Resolve is NOT free (although at $1000, it's pretty close). Resolve Lite is free. There are still a number of differences, some of which are pretty important to higher end users.

Thanks David.
    Scarlet X # 517

Quote Originally Posted by David Kellermann View Post
    Resolve works in real time (depending on your hardware), while Colorista II is pretty slow... I would definitively get into Resolve instead of Colorista.
    There are a LOT more differences than simply that. LUT's, tracked windows, sophisticated keyers of various types, various curve controls, soft clips, offset controls as well as lift gain and gamma, much more refined processing that takes advantage of GPU power, stills management, color tracing capabilities, hardware panel interfacing, and, in general, an environment that was designed specifically for color grading and a lot of things that go with it - these are all features of Resolve (as well as other dedicated grading programs) that you just won't have in a plug in on an editing program. If you're really looking for something that will give you a lot of the power of a grading program in a plugin, I would suggest looking at the new Baselight plug in for Final Cut. It's got a lot more of what a program like Resolve offers than a simpler tool like Colorista.

I wonder if Baselight isn't kicking themselves for making a plugin for an NLE that has been EoL'd. BTW, I'd love a Baselight plugin for Media Composer!

Davinci Resolve 12.5.5.026
    Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    There are a LOT more differences than simply that. LUT's, tracked windows, sophisticated keyers of various types, various curve controls, soft clips, offset controls as well as lift gain and gamma, much more refined processing that takes advantage of GPU power, stills management, color tracing capabilities, hardware panel interfacing, and, in general, an environment that was designed specifically for color grading and a lot of things that go with it - these are all features of Resolve (as well as other dedicated grading programs) that you just won't have in a plug in on an editing program. If you're really looking for something that will give you a lot of the power of a grading program in a plugin, I would suggest looking at the new Baselight plug in for Final Cut. It's got a lot more of what a program like Resolve offers than a simpler tool like Colorista.
    Most of the features you mentioned above are part of Colorista! And if in After Effects, the tracker and custom matts, etc are there too....I'd hardly call it a simple tool (even stand alone).....sure it's not as refined or as quick as resolve, but it's certainly powerful and professional. Have you actually learned it/used it? Don't get me wrong, I'll resolve any day over colorista, but I could grade anything I do in resolve, just as well in Colorista II...it might just take me a wee longer. Tracking and speed are the biggest pluses for Resolve...and a streamlined interface.

*Resolve light :)

what bit depth does colorista process at?
    Colorist | Los Angeles, CA | www.filmandtvcolor.com

Twitter: @4kfinish