Thread: Red one editing speed.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red one editing speed. 
    Banned
    I read somewhere in this forum that it can take hours to convert RED footage to be able to edit on Final cut or Premiere. Is that true? Something like 5 seconds per frame of 4k?

Whats the average wait per minute of footage, if using for instance the new MacBook Pro 2.4 gz in Final Cut 6.02?

How would i "watch my dailies" without waiting hours or days?
    Can i transfer my footage files to a drive on a mac and watch what i filmed without converting?

George

If you wanna just "look" your daylies, just open the files in Redcine, and you're done.
    If you need fast quicktime proxies, open the clips in Redalert, hit cmd+M, and you're done, instantly.

If you want export footage from Redcine, to frames (dpx/tif) or .mov, you need some rendering. Don't know about rendering time on a Macbook 2.4.

To compare... think about a medium complexity filter in FCP applied to... 3 layers? Just a guess.

Just my 2c...

Please, correct my written english.
    I'm still learning, and I need your help.
    Thanks in advance.

Frontline Infantry Christian Edwards's Avatar
    proxy file is your best bet and export your edl back to your red drive , i cant imaging youd need to edit in 4k at the most youd import 4k files as a short clip for compositing/3d at most and if you were to edit in 4k youd need a large storage ie:raid server system and some powerful cpu and gpu and would be looking at some dollars to do so ,1k to 2k would be the most youd need to edit in real-time in mainly just to work with color correction etc this would be a more realistic goal.
    i wouldn't bother with the mac book you wont get beyond a proxy for editing what you need is dual sli nvidia cards, raid array , dual cpu.
    im hoping red have a better solution come NAB time!fingers crossed ! Redalert would enable you to watch r3d. files...well youd hope so anyway. and there would be no point editing 4k with FCP stick with Premiere;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cinemano View Post
    I read somewhere in this forum that it can take hours to convert RED footage to be able to edit on Final cut or Premiere. Is that true? Something like 5 seconds per frame of 4k?

Whats the average wait per minute of footage, if using for instance the new MacBook Pro 2.4 gz in Final Cut 6.02?

How would i "watch my dailies" without waiting hours or days?
    Can i transfer my footage files to a drive on a mac and watch what i filmed without converting?

George
    If you're refering to my earlier post, I was speaking only about the situation on PCs. On a mac, as I understand it, you can immediately edit in FCP and possibly with Premier Pro Apple version. On the PC though there is no way to do anything more than view the files in Redcine immediately. If you want to edit in PP you will need to get Cineform and render to quicktime Cineform 4K then convert that to an .avi file (that part is truly fast), but a fairly powerful machine will render at about 5 seconds per frame. But as was pointed out earlier, they are working on having a codec to work with Adobe so that we will be able to go directly to editing and using After Effects. It is possible to edit another way: You render the file to .tif files, inport these to photoshop, output them as .psd files and then inport them to PP or AE. (Same render times though). Red has already mentioned though too that the next version of Redcine will render about twice as fast. (Assuming your disk system is not the bottleneck.)

As Red's people have pointed out, Red is supplying all this software free of change, so all we can do is be very greatful and wait. (Or get a Mac, which is not an option for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by neathedo View Post
    As Red's people have pointed out, Red is supplying all this software free of change, so all we can do is be very greatful and wait. (Or get a Mac, which is not an option for me.)
    Why is it "not an option?" If one can afford the cost of a camera and accessories package that at the minimum is at least $25,000, certainly one can also purchase a $3000 computer. If you don't want to use a Mac, that's fine. But it's always an option, and if one wants to work with Red footage at this point in time, it is by far the best option.

You could watch your footage in QuickTime or edit in Final Cut Pro in real time from the QT proxy files - no conversion, no wait time. It's native support.

7. #7 i'm not getting realtime 
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    You could watch your footage in QuickTime or edit in Final Cut Pro in real time from the QT proxy files - no conversion, no wait time. It's native support.
    i'm running fcp 6.0.2 on a mac pro 8 core 2.8 ghz with my redcode plugin installed but every proxy i import needs to be rendered first. the proxies play fine in quicktime (albeit with a jumpy frame rate). am i missing a setting in fcp?

I guess (and hope) you either have to little RAM or use QT 7.4

The new GPU's don't seem to perform as well as the old ATI 1900 card...

G
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Quote Originally Posted by wigby View Post
    i'm running fcp 6.0.2 on a mac pro 8 core 2.8 ghz with my redcode plugin installed but every proxy i import needs to be rendered first. the proxies play fine in quicktime (albeit with a jumpy frame rate). am i missing a setting in fcp?
    set your timeline to unlimeted RT, preview quality to medium, your sequence to Pro Res, now you have an orange bar instead of red.
    if your mac is too lame, switch off the droped frame warning....
    start editing...

10. #10 pro res? 
    Quote Originally Posted by till View Post
    set your timeline to unlimeted RT, preview quality to medium, your sequence to Pro Res, now you have an orange bar instead of red.
    if your mac is too lame, switch off the droped frame warning....
    start editing...
    the sequence setting is pro res? i didn't realize that red's proxy quicktime clips were wrapped with pro res. i'll check my settings. thanks.