Thread: PELENG 8mm Fisheye

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 PELENG 8mm Fisheye 
    Anyone have any comments to share on this lens?

It was tested at LART with decent results, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to put it on a RED and give it a workout.

I'm planning on getting one, they're dirt-cheap anyway. What is the recommended source for one of these? I've found two dealers online for getting one with a PL mount.

I'm mostly looking at Long Valley Equipment
    http://www.longvalleyequip.com/lens.php

LVE sells it for $795 and puts a fixed PL mount on the lens and supposedly collimates each one before shipping. It should cover the entire 4K sensor area on RED and maybe a bit more, looks like about a 24mm diameter image area. Comes with 4 filters, 3 of which they claim they manufacture themselves.

The second one is RafCamera
    http://rafcamera.com/mcl/wide/peleng_pl.htm
    This one is about $400 cheaper. It's tempting, but it appears the PL mount is just an adapter to be fixed onto the MC mounting back of a stock lens, includes the stock filters.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I plan on getting this too. keep me posted.

Interesting about the differences between the two! Judging by the MU quote on RafCamera's site, I'd say that's where Matt Uhry (our resident arcane lens pioneer) got his from? He tested it ages ago at the RPM Post event. Actually, two Pelengs - his and Florian Stadler's. It'd really answer everyone's questions if one was from Raf camera and the other from Long Valley.

He posted some samples along with other lenses on his site. I'm not going to link to it directly, but his whole post is here:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...tt+uhry+peleng

I did a rectilinear conversion and posted that too:
    http://www.boacinema.com/projects/re...ectilinear.jpg

He said you could get 'em cheaply off eBay. I got a Nikon one for around $150 from eBay. Mine came with the colored filters as shown in the RafCamera photo. The ones Long Valley bundle do seem much cooler, I agree! Especially given that the Red One is locked at 320 ASA. Maybe you can twist their arm into lowering their price and making a ND 1.0 for Redusers if there are enough people interested?

Only problem then is poor Matt will not have such a unique lens any more. That's what he gets for all the public sharing of info! If Long Valley would sell us an extra filter set, I'd vote we buy him it as a thank you gift.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

East Wave Optic, ebay store

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MC-Peleng-3-...QQcmdZViewItem

$359 in PL mount. I Think it has weird dual iris ring that the long valley version putts a delrin, or aluminum ring on to make it one piece. Pretty cool lens.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks, Nick -- didn't see that when I searched eBay the other day. It looks like a good option, I'm going to email the seller. Seems like the PL mount comes fitted on the lens from the Belomo factory. And at that price, it seems like a "no-brainer".

Bruce,
    I noticed the that the Honda Ad reference on the Rafcamera page (in the quotes at the bottom) takes you to Matt Uhry's web site. I'm assuming the Honda ad at the end of his commercial reel was shot with the Peleng 8mm. It looks great.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

The Peleng is good for the price. The Nikon 8mm as converted by Oppenheimer Camera is vastly superior but also vastly more expensive.

With either of these two lenses mounted on a Phantom HD and framing 2Kx2K, the complete circle of lens projection is visible. Really cool.

Mitch Gross
    Abel Cine Tech

No brainer is right!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    The ones Long Valley bundle do seem much cooler, I agree! Especially given that the Red One is locked at 320 ASA. Maybe you can twist their arm into lowering their price and making a ND 1.0 for Redusers if there are enough people interested?
    Good idea, Bruce. I'm looking at this as well, so I emailed Long Valley--we'll see what they say.

I am master of all things hidden on ebay. It's amazing what a writers strike, cold weather, and nothing to do will reveal.....helps to have a high speed internet connection......

Nick

Hey, I've been talking with Doug at Long Valley. I'm looking into a deal with him for Redusers (this group buy thing is run amok!)

He's willing to propose "a deeply discounted price".

Oh, and I think he has an ND .6 filter for the lens.

I'll keep y'all posted.

I have a Peleng on the way, just for my dslr / timelapse stuff for now.
    I'd be very interested in a range of ND filters though.....