Thread: NAB News from IFX; Piranha now for Mac & Linux, $995

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 NAB News from IFX; Piranha now for Mac & Linux, $995 
    Piranha has long been a staple of my post workflow, as a diehard linux user. But I'm happy to report (unofficially, as I'm not employed by IFX) that IFX Piranha is now available for OS X, as well as Linux, at an absurd price... $995. Piranha is a complete end-to-end post suite in a single application... Conform, Edit, VFX, Paint, Color (w/ rotos/secondaries), and Render from a single tool, entirely hardware accelerated using NVidia cards (though supposedly will also run similarly well on ATI cards on OS X). Piranha provides complete support for R3D and RedCode workflows.

Unless I've misunderstood something, it appears that the entire software suite, including real-time HD-SDI in/out, Stereo and 2D-to-3D Conversion, are included for that price. Also, it appears they have created a downloadable trial.

http://ifxsoftware.com/piranha7

Please, people, check this out, for my own sake; - I need a larger community of users to share experiences with!
    General Tek-Head and Wannabehackfilmmaker Extraordinaire
    IFA Studios and The ReCinema Project

lOOKS AND SOUNDS REALLY COOL. eXCEPT FOR THEIR seriously lame website, with absolutely no real information. They need to get with the OSX times.

Which would you rather have? A kick-ass website, and a shitty product? or a shitty product and a kick-ass website? Seriously though, what information are you looking for? I'll admit the site isn't the coolest, and is sparse in some information, but they are a small team and it really is a matter of priorities. Ask your questions here, I'll answer them if I can, or I'll harass Tom at IFX if I can't... Maybe we can turn that discussion into new content for their site. But, really, just go download the software (you don't even have to fill out a form, just click the damn link!), you play around, adn do your best to answer your own questions. It's really not that hard, is it?

Just out of curiosity, what is the "OSX times"? I thought they did that with an version for OS X... Is there some website design standard that is dictated for every OS X product?

I downloaded the trial, but unfortunately it freezes (pinwheels) immediately after launching on my Mac Pro 4,1 OSX 10.6.8.

Anyone else got it running?

Try running it from the terminal... /Applications/piranha.app/Contents/MacOs/piranha (so I'm told.. i don't run use Mac).

6. #6 Downloading 
    Downloading this now. Always interested in new options for post workflow.

I think the website is fine, but I guess if you're asking for 1K for your software, some users might be wary of paying to a cheaper looking website. If you know the folks, and they're looking for a good team that will take care of them at a decent rate, let me know as I have some friends that do web design.

-zack
    - zack

--
    Zack McTee
    zackmctee.com
    twitter.com/zackmctee

Running from Terminal works, thanks Kyle.

Anyone at NAB who wants to see Piranha first-hand and meet Tom, head over to the Renaissance, suite #1530, for a personal demo.

Does it support the tangent cp200 series?
    KARILLA IDO
    OPUS DIGITAL LAB
    TEL AVIV
    ISRAEL

http://www.opus-tv.com

Senior Member Nick Pasquariello's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shashbugu View Post
    lOOKS AND SOUNDS REALLY COOL. eXCEPT FOR THEIR seriously lame website
    Neat Video has possibly THE WORST website I have ever seen, yet it's a plugin that is in very wide use and is arguably the best cost:value noise reduction software around.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear first hand experience with this. How does the grading side compare to Da Vinci? How does the VFX aspect compare to After Effects? I love the idea of a unified, singular piece of software, but my gut instinct is to assume that by linking everything together, they had to water the various aspects of post down.
    Icarus Rex Productions
    Scarlet #1798 "Ariadne"
    Local 600 DIT