Thread: NAB News from IFX; Piranha now for Mac & Linux, $995

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 NAB News from IFX; Piranha now for Mac & Linux, $995 
    Piranha has long been a staple of my post workflow, as a diehard linux user. But I'm happy to report (unofficially, as I'm not employed by IFX) that IFX Piranha is now available for OS X, as well as Linux, at an absurd price... $995. Piranha is a complete end-to-end post suite in a single application... Conform, Edit, VFX, Paint, Color (w/ rotos/secondaries), and Render from a single tool, entirely hardware accelerated using NVidia cards (though supposedly will also run similarly well on ATI cards on OS X). Piranha provides complete support for R3D and RedCode workflows.

Unless I've misunderstood something, it appears that the entire software suite, including real-time HD-SDI in/out, Stereo and 2D-to-3D Conversion, are included for that price. Also, it appears they have created a downloadable trial.

http://ifxsoftware.com/piranha7

Please, people, check this out, for my own sake; - I need a larger community of users to share experiences with!
    General Tek-Head and Wannabehackfilmmaker Extraordinaire
    IFA Studios and The ReCinema Project

lOOKS AND SOUNDS REALLY COOL. eXCEPT FOR THEIR seriously lame website, with absolutely no real information. They need to get with the OSX times.

Which would you rather have? A kick-ass website, and a shitty product? or a shitty product and a kick-ass website? Seriously though, what information are you looking for? I'll admit the site isn't the coolest, and is sparse in some information, but they are a small team and it really is a matter of priorities. Ask your questions here, I'll answer them if I can, or I'll harass Tom at IFX if I can't... Maybe we can turn that discussion into new content for their site. But, really, just go download the software (you don't even have to fill out a form, just click the damn link!), you play around, adn do your best to answer your own questions. It's really not that hard, is it?

Just out of curiosity, what is the "OSX times"? I thought they did that with an version for OS X... Is there some website design standard that is dictated for every OS X product?

I downloaded the trial, but unfortunately it freezes (pinwheels) immediately after launching on my Mac Pro 4,1 OSX 10.6.8.

Anyone else got it running?

So I took your advice and downloaded the software. It took me a few minutes to figure the terminal app launch thingy (I assume it's still in development) I was immediately confronted with a really interesting and advanced base light style,redcinex, interface, all the bells and whistles were available. Editing, fx, grading. No good audio tools unless I couldn't find them. I am actully impressed with the playback of some Red files I tossed at it. Did some minimal Edits, some color grading, but I couldn't figure out the heads and tails of the fx interface. overall the software nails the all in one approach to post. Very clever and very smart coding. I like this program. I feel of all the software on the market today it has the most potential especially at that price point.

Editing is not for geeks but for artists. We spend most of our re-scripting and trying to figure out ways to better tell our stories. An all in one approach with vfx should be an extension of our creative juices. All I'm saying is
    , I feel your software is made for the same vfx geeks out there whom use, nuke and flame.
    all the bells and whistles seem forthcoming but the user interface needs some a lot of work. This a chance to really come up with a really clean graphically simplified appearance but with the current powerful tools you have.

Is there tracking? 2d 3d?
    I'll play with it a little longer
    . Will get back to you with some more questions suggestions

Here's the thing
    1. Editing I

Thanks for your honest feedback. I know Tom will appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by shashbugu View Post
    Is there tracking? 2d 3d?
    Yes, check in the "Add Effect" menu under Tracking. Add the effect and position on the point to track. There is a button between the Timeline and the Canvas that should say "Track". Click that, then play the clip. It should track that point. Now you can use that tracking data for other things. For example, you can link that to a Transform effect to tie the two for stabilization.

I'm in the process of uploading a quick (okay, its 40-minutes) of an unscripted "introduction" video that covers the basics of the interface. It'll have to wait until tomorrow night, but I'll try and do a follow up to show how to do tracking.

--Kyle

Senior Member Nick Pasquariello's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Mallory View Post
    I'm in the process of uploading a quick (okay, its 40-minutes) of an unscripted "introduction" video that covers the basics of the interface. It'll have to wait until tomorrow night, but I'll try and do a follow up to show how to do tracking.

--Kyle
    I would LOVE that. I'm not at NAB this year, and it'd be amazing to have a video going over the general useability as well as the features that distinguish Piranha from the other options out there.
    Icarus Rex Productions
    Scarlet #1798 "Ariadne"
    Local 600 DIT

Quote Originally Posted by shashbugu View Post
    Editing is not for geeks but for artists.
    The best editors are both.

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Mallory View Post
    Which would you rather have? A kick-ass website, and a shitty product? or a shitty product and a kick-ass website?
    Neither of those options suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Halper View Post
    Neither of those options suits me.
    Move along... nothing to see here... Keep Moving...