Thread: NAB News from IFX; Piranha now for Mac & Linux, $995

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So I took your advice and downloaded the software. It took me a few minutes to figure the terminal app launch thingy (I assume it's still in development) I was immediately confronted with a really interesting and advanced base light style,redcinex, interface, all the bells and whistles were available. Editing, fx, grading. No good audio tools unless I couldn't find them. I am actully impressed with the playback of some Red files I tossed at it. Did some minimal Edits, some color grading, but I couldn't figure out the heads and tails of the fx interface. overall the software nails the all in one approach to post. Very clever and very smart coding. I like this program. I feel of all the software on the market today it has the most potential especially at that price point.

Editing is not for geeks but for artists. We spend most of our re-scripting and trying to figure out ways to better tell our stories. An all in one approach with vfx should be an extension of our creative juices. All I'm saying is
    , I feel your software is made for the same vfx geeks out there whom use, nuke and flame.
    all the bells and whistles seem forthcoming but the user interface needs some a lot of work. This a chance to really come up with a really clean graphically simplified appearance but with the current powerful tools you have.

Is there tracking? 2d 3d?
    I'll play with it a little longer
    . Will get back to you with some more questions suggestions

Here's the thing
    1. Editing I

For the website not an issue with design but info reason lacking

Thanks for your honest feedback. I know Tom will appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by shashbugu View Post
    Is there tracking? 2d 3d?
    Yes, check in the "Add Effect" menu under Tracking. Add the effect and position on the point to track. There is a button between the Timeline and the Canvas that should say "Track". Click that, then play the clip. It should track that point. Now you can use that tracking data for other things. For example, you can link that to a Transform effect to tie the two for stabilization.

I'm in the process of uploading a quick (okay, its 40-minutes) of an unscripted "introduction" video that covers the basics of the interface. It'll have to wait until tomorrow night, but I'll try and do a follow up to show how to do tracking.

--Kyle
    General Tek-Head and Wannabehackfilmmaker Extraordinaire
    IFA Studios and The ReCinema Project

Quote Originally Posted by shashbugu View Post
    Editing is not for geeks but for artists.
    The best editors are both.

Oh wow! Beyond the edit interface. The fx and color grading interface are really cool. I was able to get my head around the layer based fx, I was humbled by the ease at which you can apply basic effects to clips. The effectors and physics engines remind me of those in C4D except even easier. Yep there are trackers, cameras, the whole works. Once you get into it's actually easy to use. But the interface is not really that easy on the eyes. Especially the edit interface is way too Linuxy for lack of a better term. Ifx should download the free resolve version to see how the software was brought into the OSX world.

Senior Member Nick Pasquariello's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Mallory View Post
    I'm in the process of uploading a quick (okay, its 40-minutes) of an unscripted "introduction" video that covers the basics of the interface. It'll have to wait until tomorrow night, but I'll try and do a follow up to show how to do tracking.

--Kyle
    I would LOVE that. I'm not at NAB this year, and it'd be amazing to have a video going over the general useability as well as the features that distinguish Piranha from the other options out there.
    Icarus Rex Productions
    Scarlet #1798 "Ariadne"
    Local 600 DIT

great, an introduction video would be awesome. could you please tell us details on all the stereo tools in a video and show them please??? Robert Hedinger has told me there's a lot of nice tools for it.
    audio and image postproduction in Antwerp. 2x recording studio with 5.1 surround.
    www.nuhollywood.com

Okays guys, here is a very, very, quick-and-dirty intro video... http://youtu.be/xjDwTzWGE3E

Nick, unfortunately I don't spend enough time in the competing products to know what really sets Piranha apart from them; I'll fully admit, I'm biased in my point of view with regard to NLEs and compositors. My principal motivation at the time, when I first started using it 6 years ago, was "It ran on Linux, and Tom cut me a deal on the price."

Sven, I do not have any practical experience with the 3D/stereo features to really demonstrate them for you. But while I'm making a quick video on Tracking tonight, I'll see if I can make one on my limited understanding of stereo. If you have any stereo footage I can demonstrate with, that would be a great start. Also, I don't have a stereo monitor to work with, so anything that I can do, won't be any kind of scientific.

I'm trying to get Tom to poke his head in here between Demo's, but I know he's drawn between other forums and stuff too.
    General Tek-Head and Wannabehackfilmmaker Extraordinaire
    IFA Studios and The ReCinema Project

Thx a lot Kyle for taking the time to make and post this video. unfortunately can't help you with s3d footage at the moment. at least this was very interesting. thx again.
    I'll probably get the software just not sure whether to use it with linux of osx.
    audio and image postproduction in Antwerp. 2x recording studio with 5.1 surround.
    www.nuhollywood.com

any more news and links to info and tuts on Piranha?