Thread: Epic M and X Data Sheet

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    When I shot stills with a Hasselblad I knew a standard lens is a 90mm, when shooting S16 then it's a 15mm.
    Is that a typo?
    Because with S16mm 25mm is a "standard lens".

Quote Originally Posted by zak forrest View Post
    am i right to assume there is no big difference between black shade calibrating at 96th and 48th of a second? and its only a difference when your calibrating at over 1000th of a second ?
    It's been mentioned before that that particular different in shutter speed when it comes to black shading is minimal. I calibrate at 1/48th and shoot at 1/96th or even a bit higher with no issues. However, if you are going "way" faster or "way" slower I would highly recommend black shading.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Koch View Post
    What ever happened to 120fps at 5K? Wasn't that the spec? I know i've never done it, but I thought it was what was planned.
    You can currently achieve 121fps with 5k WS. Full 5k 120fps is coming with the Dragon upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelsmith View Post
    Is that a typo?
    I'm a previous Hasselblad P25 owner and shooter. Somewhere between 80mm and 90mm gives you the "equivalent" FOV of a 50mm on FF35. However, that was always a bit off as the sensor was a bit more cropped than that. Generally speaking though on digital medium backs and bodies like that's what they say and it's often included as the stock lens.

In every film school out here in LA and my experience with S16 a 25mm is a standard lens as it achieves a similar 50mm FOV in relation to S35. However is standard means 25mm on S35 you'd bee looking at 13mm or if standard was say 32mm on S35, likely 16mm.

I created this in relation to S35 chart to help simplify that process if you come from a film background and don't like basing crop factors against FF35. It sometimes confuses people immensely, but you are looking to just maintain the same crop factor/FOV logic relative to wear you are starting from.

I should note, while these are accurate today, when Dragon becomes available all of these charts will need to be updated and the concept of what 4k is today on Red Epic and Scarlet cameras will change slightly.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by nigelsmith View Post
    Is that a typo?
    Nonesence, however I know where you get that from! You have been told that with S16 it's half of 35mm which is about right. Standard lens for S35 is about 32mm.

The whole reason why I hate the crop factor is it just screws people up, it relates to FF35, not S35.
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

In every film school out here in LA and my experience with S16 a 25mm is a standard lens as it achieves a similar 50mm FOV in relation to S35. However is standard means 25mm on S35 you'd bee looking at 13mm or if standard was say 32mm on S35, likely 16mm.

I suspect those film schools have not shot film for a very long time, 25mm is way too long for standard.

The standard lens set on 35mm film shoots over the last 30 years has ranged from 18 to 85, the middle lens happens to be a 32 or possibly a 35 with 2 wider & to longer lenses.
    The 32/35 gives the closest FOV to a 50mm on a FF 35mm film camera.
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Yep.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

6. #26 Standard lens 
    Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    A standard lens means a lens that produces a FOV close to that of the human eye...Mr Williams is, as usual, correct...Except for the 6x6 format..its 80mm
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

More of a news update in case you missed it. Adobe Labs has released a new version of the Red Importer Plugin for CS6 and CS5.5.
    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/redepic_importer/

- Support for RedColor3, RedGamma3, and Magic Motion
    - Removes the need to conform audio on Red files
    - Stability fixes for large Red projects on a Mac

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey, great collection of info, helps a lot.
    Thanks Phil!
    post production consultant / digital film technician
    FocusMachina Camera-Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    What is the point in relating to Still ftame photography? surely the reference for Cinema should be Acedamy frame which has been used in cinematography for 100 years or S35 which has been common for the last 20 years.
    Because if you ask 10 different people the standard S35 size you'll get 10 different answers. This many perf, that many perf, blah blah blah. 36x24 is a known quantity.

Hello all! It's time for a big update to this thread and add some additional material.

I've been approached by several people and have been asked to compile the Data Sheets and my other Red notes into a book, ebook, app, etc. While that would help my "Get Phil an Epic/Dragon Fund" I would like these quick reference cards and general information to remain free for Red owners, shooters, and others to use. Here's what's new:

changeLog 10.29.2012
    - added additional common rectilinear focal lengths to all charts.
    - added additial information/definintions for each graphic.
    - updated format names to reflect the latest firmware (QuadHD has been depreciated)
    - updated graphic "Red MX Format Crop Factors" with all available resolutions.
    - added "HD" and "WS" markers to the Data Sheet for available formats.
    - updated crop factor algorithm and rounded up non-standard focal lengths.
    - updated Data Sheets with exact 1K WS resolution (previously was guestimate prior to officail release).
    - updated the formatting of the first post to be easier to find what you're looking for.
    - removed Adobe Importer instructions as it is not needed with Production Premium CS6.
    - removed 1K and phantom audio notes as they are now enabled.
    - created Red Mysterium X Relative Crop Factor graphic with both 5K and 4K as base recording format.
    - created RedMag Record Time (in minutes) graphic with updated approximate record times and the newer 48GB and 512GB magazine sizes.
    - compiled notes into "Red Quick Guide" as a pdf file for you to download and/or print.

Red Mysterium X Relative Crop Factors
    This graphic sets the "relative crop factor" at 5K or 4K. The purpose is to assist the shooter on choosing their desired focal lengths when changing formats to produce a similar field of view from their main recording format. An example: You've decided on renting a 32mm prime lens for a shoot, but know you want to shoot some overcranked 2K material to match the approximate field of view. With this chart you can see that you would also want to rent a 16mm lens to produce the similar FOV and feel of 32mm at 4K.

- Download 2k Version - Download 5k Version

RedMag Record Times
    This graphic displays the recording times of all currently available recording formats and available RedMag capacities. I've listed the common production RedCode compression ratios from 3:1-12:1. Take note that the 48GB RedMag is designed for the current Scarlet X and it's max data rates. Currently we don't know how it performs on Epic.

- Download 2k Version - Download 5k Version

All of this can now be found on the first post of this thread. Once I there is an official announcement regarding final Dragon specs I'll add them to this thread and publish new graphics.

Happy Halloween!

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon