Thread: The Missouri Strain

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 The Missouri Strain 
    This is the theatrical trailer for the short film "The Missouri Strain". It was shot on a RED One and an RED Epic X. Please make sure to watch it in HD and with good speakers if available. All and any feedback is welcome.

Check the color of the father's face at 00:48 and again at 01:54. Looks like he has a major sunburn.
    Karma vs Mojo Productions LLC - Karma vs Mojo Rentals LLC
    Canon FD (24,28,35,55,85,100,135,200,500,24-35,28-50,35-70,55-135)
    Super Baltar (20,25,35,50,75,100,150,225)
    Lomo Standard Speed (18,22,28,35,50,75,100,150,200,250,300)
    Lomo Super Speed (18,22,28,35,50,75)
    Lomo Anamorphic (35,50,75,150, 40-240 zoom)
    Lomo Zooms (20-120, 28-80)
    Angie Zooms (25-250 "old school")

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Panfeld View Post
    Check the color of the father's face at 00:48 and again at 01:54. Looks like he has a major sunburn.
    Yep, you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately, this was from his face actually having sunburn. If you look at his arm when it touches the little girls face, you can clearly see that it is white compared to his face. Probably should have done more with makeup but time was against us. I've played with the clip in REDCINE-X and Magic Bullet Colorista but could never get it to exactly where I liked it. I did desaturate it some, so you can imagine how much more red it would have been. I'll have to try and see if I can even it out a little better for the final film.

Thanks for the input.

I would also be careful at rousing the wrath of the MPAA. They do not take kindly to moving rating cards that simulate the appearance of the "official" green-screen all-audiences trailer banners.

Mixed lighting, weird color, red faces in the bedroom scenes with the kids. I think this can look more "normal" (if that's what you're going for).

That's an oft-cited Ebert cliche of "character turns the TV on and just catches the pertinent news clip about the event affecting the movie." (Just sayin'.)

Some weird kerning and typeface issues on the end title.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I would also be careful at rousing the wrath of the MPAA. They do not take kindly to moving rating cards that simulate the appearance of the "official" green-screen all-audiences trailer banners.

Mixed lighting, weird color, red faces in the bedroom scenes with the kids. I think this can look more "normal" (if that's what you're going for).

That's an oft-cited Ebert cliche of "character turns the TV on and just catches the pertinent news clip about the event affecting the movie." (Just sayin'.)

Some weird kerning and typeface issues on the end title.
    Thanks so much for the input. This is my first official film and also my first time working with RED footage. We shot on a RED One and a RED Epic X.

I've changed the green band part of the trailer. I'm trying to go through the actual process of getting the MPAA to give an official rating but it's a real pain and, as I'm sure you know, is expensive.

I think I've narrowed down the problem with the saturated red faces. I'm editing on Sony Vegas and dumping the footage in from the raw R3D file without transcoding and for some reason Vegas adds saturation to it. Still trying to figure what to do. I might try putting the footage in Premiere and see if it's any better.

I agree with the Ebert cliche. That was mostly for the trailer. It'll be different for the film itself.

I couldn't figure out what kerning and typeface issues what you were talking about specifically. The only thing I could think of was the second and third slates with the names.

Thanks for the input. I'm still learning and appreciate the help.

New One Sheet Poster for the film.