Thread: scarlet rental-DC, MD, PA, NJ-potential

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 scarlet rental-DC, MD, PA, NJ-potential 
    Harrisburg, York, Lancaster area, Pennsylvania
    Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a Scarlet package for my production company as well as renting it out both with and without an operator. Pricing would be decent. Just seeing there's a market for renting around my region. If so, would you be more interested in renting the canon or PL mount?

Any other requests for a package?

Josh

There really isn't much of a market around here. We have one ourselves for our own company, no one else really seems all that interested in shooting anything over 1080p.

The problem I was told is that things are not even being delivered in HD so why shoot even higher rez.

It has been frustrating.
    Ben Coleman
    Sugar Leaf Films

Hey Josh,

I concur with Ben. I also have a few colleagues in the DC area the produces a few Shorts here and there. Most productions in the VA, DC MD area at Docs. Erich Roland of DC Camera has an SX, you might want to connect with him to possibly list your equip as a rental, if they're open to it.

The Discovery Channel and Smithsonian Channel Content Acquisition team are based in DC. That might be a resource for you to pitch in terms of submissions in case you want to produce content in addition to providing rental. We're actually in talks with the Smithsonian team at the moment.

To support Ben's comment, that mid-Atlantic area is predominantly Docs, Corporate & Industrial content dev...Not that there aren't narrative features being created...Just not in demand.

There are a few circuit outlets, like the DC Film Fest that you may be able to PR your equipment. But in regards to the MOUNT, you might want to include a lens package, if you can budget that in. That will determine which mount you invest in.

Hope this helps.

Marq Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Miller View Post
    Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a Scarlet package for my production company as well as renting it out both with and without an operator. Pricing would be decent. Just seeing there's a market for renting around my region. If so, would you be more interested in renting the canon or PL mount?

Any other requests for a package?

Josh

The problem I was told is that things are not even being delivered in HD so why shoot even higher rez.
    I've heard that too. It's not about the resolution that's the advantage with me, it's the RAW format and the dynamic range but it's hard to convince non-industry people what that benefit provides vs cost.

Marq: I agree about the stuff shot in the area. We're heavy into educational and corporate stuff as well. Wish I had more opportunity for narratives.

Thanks for the input guys!
    Last edited by Josh Miller; 04-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.

There are a lot of narrative projects in DC, but very few are high budget. Tons of industrial work, though. I think the bigger issue is not deliverable resolution, but how many Scarlets/Epics already exist in the DC area. There are lots. I can persoanlly name about a dozen Epics and a slightly smaller number of Scarlets.

Erich at DC Camera has some and his rental biz is busy.
    Karma vs Mojo Productions LLC - Karma vs Mojo Rentals LLC
    Canon FD (24,28,35,55,85,100,135,200,500,24-35,28-50,35-70,55-135)
    Super Baltar (20,25,35,50,75,100,150,225)
    Lomo Standard Speed (18,22,28,35,50,75,100,150,200,250,300)
    Lomo Super Speed (18,22,28,35,50,75)
    Lomo Anamorphic (35,50,75,150, 40-240 zoom)
    Lomo Zooms (20-120, 28-80)
    Angie Zooms (25-250 "old school")

Ben- I think I was at a wedding you shot last year. I was shooting stills. You're a husband-wife team, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Miller View Post
    Ben- I think I was at a wedding you shot last year. I was shooting stills. You're a husband-wife team, right?
    We are. Yeah a Scarlet is a bit overkill for weddings. I never expected to use it for anything else though, I didn't want to buy something with the expectation of renting it to make my money back. I also am not allowed to send our camera out without me going with it.

You are right on the range and RAW, they are nice to have. I think many people are still slightly scared by those things too. Around here it seems the MO is to just keep doing things the way they have always been done, even if it is old and there are better ways.
    Ben Coleman
    Sugar Leaf Films