Thread: Affordable Field Recorder for Scarlet

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The D-Tap doesn't come with it, you have to buy one separately. You can also record in Uncompressed but it would not be practical compared to DNxHD space wise. Blackmagic announced at NAB that they would add ProRes to the rack mount version, Hyperdeck Studio, but I don't know if it will be made available on the Shuttle.

I love my Pix240.

As soon as Red introduces full raster on the hd-sdi out it will be even more useful.
    Matt Gottshalk
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260
    EPIC-X "Deckard"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm

How about a Proxy File recorded with the R3D?

It would be super useful for off lining.

Put a big timecode window through the centre of the frame and there would be no chance to use it by mistake.
    Ben Ruffell
    Director of Photography
    www.ruff.co.nz

why not shoot raw and just transcode it it to pro res 1080 or 720 later for them. toss the raws a week later?

perhaps shoot 3k for smaller jobs.
    Michael Notar

WWW.SHUTTERWORKSFILM.COM
    Video Production and Equipment Rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gottshalk View Post
    I love my Pix240.

As soon as Red introduces full raster on the hd-sdi out it will be even more useful.
    I'm with Matt- love my PIX 240 too.

The raster issue is one that effects ALL outboard recorders BTW. So REDs fix will apply to all I would think.

PIX-wise you have 2 models so not sure what your budget restrictions are but the build quality and performance are every bit as good as your Scarlet. Sound Devices has been VERY responsive to owner input and have added features almost monthly in their free firmware updates. If you get a chance to handle a PIX and a Samurai I think you will be blown away by the build and finish of the PIX products. Controls, fittings, chassis - all beautifully engineered. Intuitive menu system with some great abilities to custom configure to your use and style. I bought the optional D-tap so its powered right of the same Brick as the camera.

Stu Aull
    SX 199
    PIX 240

Quote Originally Posted by stu aull View Post
    I'm with Matt- love my PIX 240 too.

The raster issue is one that effects ALL outboard recorders BTW. So REDs fix will apply to all I would think.

PIX-wise you have 2 models so not sure what your budget restrictions are but the build quality and performance are every bit as good as your Scarlet. Sound Devices has been VERY responsive to owner input and have added features almost monthly in their free firmware updates. If you get a chance to handle a PIX and a Samurai I think you will be blown away by the build and finish of the PIX products. Controls, fittings, chassis - all beautifully engineered. Intuitive menu system with some great abilities to custom configure to your use and style. I bought the optional D-tap so its powered right of the same Brick as the camera.

Stu Aull
    SX 199
    PIX 240
    I have two questions about the Pix240, as this DOES seem like a very intriguing recorder:

1) BATTERY LIFE: I'd heard that it's own battery life was poor, but I guess if you can D-TAP into the brick, then it no longer an issue. Please confirm that you are happy with this setup (though it does seem like you are)

2) AUDIO: Armed with two SOUND DEVICES XLR inputs/pre-amps, I have to imagine Sound Guys can plug right into the PIX 240 and record PERFECT STUDIO AUDIO to the Proxy files. Are you using it in this capacity? Can you expand on this if you are.

Here is what I am thinking. If the PIX 240 can record perfect proxies WITH META-DATA, and record perfect SOUND, then not only would this this be the best broadcast proxy recorder...you also wouldn't need the PRO I/O for audio anymore either...and all for $2500.

Once RED updates their firmwire...and the black bars go away...the PIX 240 could just be the ultimate field recorder a lot of us in broadcast have been waiting for. Right?

We can edit directly off the proxies, and then ONLINE back to the 4K R3D's when we're ready to grade. PERFECT.
    Nick Morrison - Director (WGA-East)

The PIX eats more power than the Samurai, but it's audio section is far better. It's definitely studio quality.

What do you mean by proxies with meta-data?
    They are baked in on the output, I didn't see RED announcing any transfer of separate meta-data via SDI (if that would be feasible at all).
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    I have two questions about the Pix240, as this DOES seem like a very intriguing recorder:

1) BATTERY LIFE: I'd heard that it's own battery life was poor, but I guess if you can D-TAP into the brick, then it no longer an issue. Please confirm that you are happy with this setup (though it does seem like you are)

2) AUDIO: Armed with two SOUND DEVICES XLR inputs/pre-amps, I have to imagine Sound Guys can plug right into the PIX 240 and record PERFECT STUDIO AUDIO to the Proxy files. Are you using it in this capacity? Can you expand on this if you are.

Here is what I am thinking. If the PIX 240 can record perfect proxies WITH META-DATA, and record perfect SOUND, then not only would this this be the best broadcast proxy recorder...you also wouldn't need the PRO I/O for audio anymore either...and all for $2500.

Once RED updates their firmwire...and the black bars go away...the PIX 240 could just be the ultimate field recorder a lot of us in broadcast have been waiting for. Right?

We can edit directly off the proxies, and then ONLINE back to the 4K R3D's when we're ready to grade. PERFECT.
    1) I get 50 min+ of continuous recording with the PIX attached via D-tap on my 150w bricks. Thats dual recording on the RED SSD as well, fan at 35%, running the BOMB. I have not used the Sony-mount battery option on the PIX directly so I can't comment on run-times with these - but you can buy several diff SIZES of the Sony's so maybe the self-power options are OK? I would pose this Q on the Sound Devices User Forum for PIX.

2) Tho I am not sure these qualify as a "proxy", but since you can match TC (with the PIX 240 only) to the RED recordings, I can't see why you couldn't lock the PIX audio to the RED files in post. I mean, this type of separate-audio-recording has been done in the film industry for decades. There is no Metadata recorded by the PIX that I am aware of. The sound quality is amazing, but I expected nothing less from SD.

I'm using my PIX for HD work now, but, yes, REDs long-awaited correction of the framing out on the SDI will be welcome. And by their own statement (NAB) this should be shortly.

I know RED has indicated they might come out with some sort of Proxy recorder, but I would be surprised if it is at the PIX price-point, nor would have the depth of features of the PIX (like the monitor, for one).

Stu Aull
    SX 199
    Alaska

Everyone has been great with replys

One thing, i may be wrong but
    Didn't the Redone record RAW with 720p & 1080p quicktime files included?

If so wonder why the Scarlet, Epic doesn't do it...I know redmag space would be a bitch..but it'd be helpful for those certain clients

Those QT "proxies" were no true independent proxies, they were just a link to the original files telling QT to decode them. You can generate them very fast with RCX and they need next to no space at all.

RED may include them with another firmware update, but they always needed massive computing power. True proxies like ProRes LT would be much more useful if you need to do a fast edit on a laptop.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.