Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Challenge to Zacuto...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Challenge to Zacuto... 
    We'd love to participate in your test. But going to a race where you have to ride the brakes isn't much fun. Here's what we suggest.

Do your 1080P or 2K finish. But also do a 4K finish. 4K is the future... and the future is now. Why not test what is... not what was. Up-rez where necessary. People need to know what to expect when 4K delivery options happen (like now). Down-rez the higher resolution cameras to 4K. Look forward. Studios are preparing to re-release old movies shot on film with 4K scans. Show what an image will look like on a 60' screen. Everyone needs to know what their original is capable of... starting with tests like these.

Pick your (Zacuto chosen) team to do the post. But also give each manufacturer their own footage to get processed under their control. That is likely to produce the best results and motivate the companies to show the best from their cameras. No excuses. For example, will RED footage be kept R3D all the way through? And if so... by whom?

How about it Zacuto? Let's do this.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Bookmark this thread!
    Epic #06696

Zucato asked me to do the RED EPIC part of this test, Which I was thankful.... I couldn't because of my busy schedules. My same question to them also was, It's to be a 4k Projection finish right? ... As I did not think it fair to down convert RED EPICS images by more than half to compete against a bunch of HD cameras. As this was not fair assessment of the RED cameras full potential.

The reply was, We do not have a 4k projector and were not sure if they had the facilities to do 4k Post... ? and the fellow that made contact could not answer if we could stay R3D all the way to the final... So flawed post as well.

So at the end of the day, You never see RED EPIC footage as it really is, meaning the ZUCATO test is instantly flawed...

Pity, because I know the mean well...
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

I can't believe people still shoot 1080p for the big screen.

http://www.SolarSystemStudio.com/

EPIC DRAGON - For Rent - Available Now

maybe if you provided them with a 4K display system or have the final showcased at Red Studio, I can't imagine Zacuto rejecting that offer:-P
    George Tsai :-D
    http://www.GTsai.com
    http://fuzeti.com/

EPIC-X 444
    Full Camera Package, and DIT services available

"Sanity is for the weak!" - Dawn of War

I do not suffer from schizophrenia, I quite enjoy it.

And so do I

Senior Member Michael Millichamp's Avatar
    Maybe RED should host a camera test and invite everyone to come see =D
    Scarlet-X #81 "Johansson"

New short film: Necrophilia: A Love Story

Donate to our Kickstarter!

This could turn out to be AMAZING and very helpful for everyone.

I really hope this goes well in all efforts and everyones commitment from all areas.
    Luis Flores Jr - Shooting CHUCK HANK and THE SAN DIEGO TWINS & RUNNER -

EPIC DRAGONS #202, #1031
    EPIC-M Cameras #960, #1046
    EPIC-X Camera #300

Los Angeles

GOOGULPLX@aol.com
    (805) 822-9870 ce

Banned
    I'd be happy to do the tests.
    I've got SFR plus charts, I've got IMATEST 3.8, I'm happy to do what would probably be the first proper scientific test resulting with MTF charts for each camera, but also can measure the dynamic range and other characteristics. All I need is the cameras to compare to. I have two Epics already

Imatest is fully automated and repeatable test:

http://www.imatest.com/docs/sfr_instructions/

http://www.imatest.com/docs/sfr_instructions2/

That could be very big.

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    Zucato asked me to do the RED EPIC part of this test, Which I was thankful.... I couldn't because of my busy schedules. My same question to them also was, It's to be a 4k Projection finish right? ... As I did not think it fair to down convert RED EPICS images by more than half to compete against a bunch of HD cameras. As this was not fair assessment of the RED cameras full potential.

The reply was, We do not have a 4k projector and were not sure if they had the facilities to do 4k Post... ? and the fellow that made contact could not answer if we could stay R3D all the way to the final... So flawed post as well.

So at the end of the day, You never see RED EPIC footage as it really is, meaning the ZUCATO test is instantly flawed...

Pity, because I know the mean well...

Sounds like a poor attempt at testing if they're not even trying to see the full potential of the camera. Shame on them.