Thread: Zoom h4n direct to audio-in Scarlet ... It works

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was hearing right, but I guess that depends which way you have your headphones on ;)

Do you need a specific 3.5mm cable? I know you do when using a 3.5mm to xlr.
    Scarlet-X #1510 "Brigitte Bardot"

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life." ~ John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by William Graydon View Post
    Do you need a specific 3.5mm cable? I know you do when using a 3.5mm to xlr.
    Don't think so (but can't be 100%).

I took the one I use from my laptop -> tv when watching movies. It was just a standard cable (does two channels I'm pretty sure)

It's so funny I was actually considering doing this for a gig where the client wanted an on-board scratch into camera. Glad to see it works! I was already planning on testing this tomorrow before I saw this post.
    VP/Director - Lakeview Productions LLC
    Full Service Digital Cinema Production
    EPIC-X #210 | EPIC-X #2201
    www.lakeviewproductions.net

Quote Originally Posted by Josef Gatti View Post
    Don't think so (but can't be 100%).

I took the one I use from my laptop -> tv when watching movies. It was just a standard cable (does two channels I'm pretty sure)
    Thanks!

Can you clarify something for me. When using an XLR mic (rhode ntg-2) will it record 24bit/96kbps? or is that only for the onboard stereo mics?

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life." ~ John Lennon

Scarlet and a ZoomH4n... a match made in heaven.....

Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    I used to do this with my Red One and Tascam DR 100. Totally works. Good on the Epic too. The recorder basically becomes a mixer, allows phantom power and captures an easily synched higher bitrate recording.

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

I just did the same thing with a Tascam DR-40 (4 track). I was able to mount it to my EPIC via 1/4" bolt on a Wooden Nickel cheese plate handle and still do handheld work with a boom plugged in.

The Tascam "should" be better than then EPIC feed from the Tascam headphone jack. I set the Tascam to 24 Bit wav files. I was also able to record a second track at -12DB on the Tascam to hold any audio that peaked the first track. I bought the thing for $150. It's a damn amazing recorder for that.

But, at first listen the EPIC audio sounds really good.
    Red One | Red Epic | Serious Color Chart

Would this workflow be improved if you added the Sound Devices Mix Pre? A bit more bulk, but you'd get the SD's fantastic pre-amps and added headroom. Thoughts?
    Nick Morrison - Director (WGA-East)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Would this workflow be improved if you added the Sound Devices Mix Pre? A bit more bulk, but you'd get the SD's fantastic pre-amps and added headroom. Thoughts?
    Nick, I was wondering the same thing. It seems thought the only recorder that allows you to do that is the Tascam DR100MK2. BH did an in depth review and you can verify for yourself. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...arkedly-better