Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RCX Pro - Other debayer options for 5K (Half, Quarter, etc.)?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RCX Pro - Other debayer options for 5K (Half, Quarter, etc.)? 
    Hi all,

I couldn't find any word about this in other threads, so apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere...

Was recently handling 5K footage and had to spit out offline dailies for editorial...thought I'd be able to get by without a RedRocket by way of doing a 1/4 debayer on an older Mac Pro, which has handled these sorts of light dailies generation from 4k footage without issue.

As soon as I set up a new Export preset for QT, I was reminded that there are no debayer options for 5K (only 4K, 3K, and 2K listed), which led to the sinking feeling that I'd be in for a longer night than expected. I tried various settings for the other resolutions, hoping that there may be some effect on my 5K footage, but nothing I did seemed to reduce the massive transcode times I was seeing.

Is there any way around this? I know QT wrapper / proxies can be an option for some, but when post/agency is calling for ProRes, what would you do in this instance (aside from the obvious but sometimes unattainable option of feeding the footage to a rocket)?

Red Team - are there any plans to incorporate other debayer quality options for 5K footage into RCX Pro in the future? Surely Graeme is working away at some fresh algorithms for 5K, but I'd be happy to have some quick options even if they're not perfectly optimized yet. Can't stress enough how useful these options will be to many, many people in the community.

As always, any thoughts, recommendations and insights are very welcome.

Thanks,
    Clint
    Between the great things we cannot do and the small things we will not do, the danger is that we shall do nothing.
    - Adolph Monod

www.clintlitton.com
    www.obpfilms.com

2.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #2  
    The 4K listed in the debayer dialog means "4K and above". So the debayer setting selected for 4K applies to 5K clips.
    Make sure you have no post-effects enabled if your exports seem to be taking an extra long time.

Grant could you please explain the benefits and drawbacks of using the different debayer settings. A friend of mine just sent me this email...

Through recent reading i've discovered raw resolution is directly proportionate to color space/depth. another words, 70% debayer may get you 3.2k with the red... but only at 4:2:2. 50% debayer down to 2k leaves you with a true 4:4:4. This is probably a secret reason Jannard is constantly pushing resolution with his cameras... it's helping out their image quality more than just sharpness.
    Michael Notar

WWW.SHUTTERWORKSFILM.COM
    Video Production and Equipment Rentals.

Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED DRAGON #612, RED DRAGON #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

i use full debayer, but at 4k on my scarlet in pro res, so i assume my footage looks like the far right 5k full debayer in this analogy correct?
    Michael Notar

WWW.SHUTTERWORKSFILM.COM
    Video Production and Equipment Rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Yoshida View Post
    The 4K listed in the debayer dialog means "4K and above". So the debayer setting selected for 4K applies to 5K clips.
    Make sure you have no post-effects enabled if your exports seem to be taking an extra long time.
    Thanks for getting back to me, Grant.

I was applying a center crop to achieve a 16:9 aspect ratio, perhaps this was contributing greatly to the processing times. Either way, a rocket is looking like an inevitable addition to my post setup (though the PIX240 has just been bumped up a level with the new firmware and SDI outputs...thank you so much for making this camera outgun the Alexa with turnaround flexibility!).

Mark, I had seen this thread and was thoroughly pleased by the results (especially assuming that I'd get similar results from my PIX). As always, your enthusiasm and testing methods very much help to inform all of us out there trying to push the cameras in real settings and environments...not to diss anyone looking at charts, of course, but I appreciate that your primary concerns are with real world results (like shooting out your hotel window in some exotic faraway land. Next time you're in NYC, give me a shout and we'll grab a beer...
    Between the great things we cannot do and the small things we will not do, the danger is that we shall do nothing.
    - Adolph Monod

www.clintlitton.com
    www.obpfilms.com