Thread: Nikon 28-300mm

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Nikon 28-300mm 
    Has anyone tried the Nikon 28-300mm on an epic?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm

I shot with it a bit on the red one and was really surprised at how good/sharp it was for such a long zoom.... in fact I'd say it outperformed a 300mm nikon prime at that focal length...

(and yes i know it's not going to be as good as an angi or something... please keep in mind price range when talkin comparisons.... i'm lookin for something cheap and versatile for lightweight run 'n gun stuff)

I use the Nikon 18-200 on the Epic and it's pretty amazing for the price. For run and gun it's perfect as it has a great zoom range, is small and light, and looks good. Better suited to outdoor work, where you can close the iris and not need to constantly focus.

how are you controlling the iris?

I bought if first for my Nikon D7000 but have used it quite a bit with the optitek on epic and it is very nice to be able to move around easily with a 10x zoom on the epic that covers virtually all normal shots you are going to need. No complaints on sharpness/image quality.
    Save the Sharks
    Scarlet-W SN176 and Epic-W Helium 8K (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Aero3D mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Nice, sounds pretty good thanks for the input all!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Smith View Post
    Nice, sounds pretty good thanks for the input all!
    It is kind of a bargain too. The canon 28-300L is $2600+ versus about $1399 for the Nikon and I don't think the Canon L is any better. Pretty much same specs for f-stop, Image stabilization, focal lengths etc. And the Nikon is about half the weight at 1.8 lbs. vs. 3.6 for the canon.
    Save the Sharks
    Scarlet-W SN176 and Epic-W Helium 8K (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Aero3D mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

I was dissapointed in the performace at 28mm, got the 24-120 f4 instead. I may have had a bad sample though. i used to live on the 18-200 on my D2x.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    http://www.YouTube.com/evingrant
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Evin, do you have an idea of where in the focal range it got good? And can you describe what was bad about the performance? I'm not so concerned about the performance around 28 as I have a decent wide angle zoom already (10-24), but it would be a waste if it didn't get good 'till 80 or whatever...

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I'd like to ask you all how you deal with distortion when you are not using dead straight lenses, especially with zooms which have different distortions at different focal lengths. (Heck, even RPPs have significant distortion).

Ken Rockwell may have some weird opinions in general but when I see his lens tests there's no doubt.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram