Thread: Help With a Very Special Project.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Help With a Very Special Project. 
    Hi all,

As you all know life can change in the blink of an eye but it never really sinks in until it happens to you.

13 days ago I sent a text to my son as he was going to skateboard down to my office to get a ride home, I texted, "Dont mess about mate, I need to get outta here early" I got no reply text.

About 35 minutes later I got a phone call from the Duty Doctor at the local hospital saying my son was there in the E.R and he was unconscious. He had come off his longboard and was not wearing a helmet. When I arrived at the ER my son ( Michael ) was indeed out cold, he was in a neck brace, he had IV's everywhere and they were busy inserting a Catheter into him. I spent 3 long days and nights in the Critical Care Unit, he was unconscious most of the time only waking for a few minutes here and there and only long enough to throw up repeatedly in to little paper bowls, the first 72 hours were the toughest of my life bare none.

Fast forward to yesterday, I bought my son home. He has permanently lost all hearing in his right ear and has facial Palsy that may or may not get better over time not to mention that he has no recollection of the accident. Two fractures to his skull and many abrasions. His DR said he doged a bullet, he had seen lesser injuries claim lives. Michael as you can imagine is thankful to be alive, but shattered at the same time that his dream of joining the armed forces is no longer an option. We ALL have a lot of healing to do.

My son for a 19 year old is amazing and his attitude throughout this entire ordeal has been one of a person well above his years, I am so very proud of him.

As we were on the couch talking he asked me if I thought I could produce a video with my Scarlet that would promote the use of Helmets for Skateboard and Scooter riders in NZ. I said “it could be done, why?” He told me that he would like to go around the schools in our area and maybe blow them away with a cool short movie on what happened to him and why it so important to wear protective gear, maybe get a couple of famous riders to pipe in. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it is a fantastic idea and if my son is willing to be “spokesman” I am willing to do all I can to make it happen.

To be honest, I have no idea where to start with a project like this and because it is so important to both my son and myself, I want to do it right.
    So team, I am looking for some resources and ideas here…

If anyone would like to be involved in this project and donate some time, ideas and skills I would love to start an open discussion on how to accomplish it. If the message gets through to just one child, it will all be worth it, no parent should go through such an ordeal that could have so simply been avoided.

or email.. johnbannister at globalblackops dot com

Heart felt thanks to all...
    The Toll House. Coming 2014
    The Pixel Protocol LLC
    Scarlet-X "Newcastle" no: 00307

There's a couple of good reality tv books, main thing is to figure out a story ... a simple one is the "recovery" (should at least be act 1) ... just shoot his recovery for now ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/patrickfaithart
    "Litl" #250 "Pudl" #397 of "Ink" (Monochrome) #3752

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    There's a couple of good reality tv books, main thing is to figure out a story ... a simple one is the "recovery" (should at least be act 1) ... just shoot his recovery for now ;)
    Sounds like a good place to start Patrick, cheers mate.
    The Toll House. Coming 2014
    The Pixel Protocol LLC
    Scarlet-X "Newcastle" no: 00307

I'm very involved in the Los Angeles bicycle scene and am ready and armed for shooting. Let me know what you need shot here in LA, John.
    Epic-X #3820

www.richiet.com

Senior Member Michael Millichamp's Avatar
    This is really heart breaking. Im glad your son is alright.

Hope everything turns our good for you and your family John.
    Scarlet-X #81 "Johansson"

New short film: Necrophilia: A Love Story

Donate to our Kickstarter!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bannister View Post
    Hi all,

As you all know life can change in the blink of an eye but it never really sinks in until it happens to you.

13 days ago I sent a text to my son as he was going to skateboard down to my office to get a ride home, I texted, "Dont mess about mate, I need to get outta here early" I got no reply text.

About 35 minutes later I got a phone call from the Duty Doctor at the local hospital saying my son was there in the E.R and he was unconscious. He had come off his longboard and was not wearing a helmet. When I arrived at the ER my son ( Michael ) was indeed out cold, he was in a neck brace, he had IV's everywhere and they were busy inserting a Catheter into him. I spent 3 long days and nights in the Critical Care Unit, he was unconscious most of the time only waking for a few minutes here and there and only long enough to throw up repeatedly in to little paper bowls, the first 72 hours were the toughest of my life bare none.

Fast forward to yesterday, I bought my son home. He has permanently lost all hearing in his right ear and has facial Palsy that may or may not get better over time not to mention that he has no recollection of the accident. Two fractures to his skull and many abrasions. His DR said he doged a bullet, he had seen lesser injuries claim lives. Michael as you can imagine is thankful to be alive, but shattered at the same time that his dream of joining the armed forces is no longer an option. We ALL have a lot of healing to do.

My son for a 19 year old is amazing and his attitude throughout this entire ordeal has been one of a person well above his years, I am so very proud of him.

As we were on the couch talking he asked me if I thought I could produce a video with my Scarlet that would promote the use of Helmets for Skateboard and Scooter riders in NZ. I said “it could be done, why?” He told me that he would like to go around the schools in our area and maybe blow them away with a cool short movie on what happened to him and why it so important to wear protective gear, maybe get a couple of famous riders to pipe in. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it is a fantastic idea and if my son is willing to be “spokesman” I am willing to do all I can to make it happen.

To be honest, I have no idea where to start with a project like this and because it is so important to both my son and myself, I want to do it right.

If anyone would like to be involved in this project and donate some time, ideas and skills I would love to start an open discussion on how to accomplish it. If the message gets through to just one child, it will all be worth it, no parent should go through such an ordeal that could have so simply been avoided.

John,

firstly truly sorry for what happened to Michael, yet glad He is kinda of okay, but very glad that He has such drive to do this.

I'm coming to Wellington NZ, and I'll be more then happy to prolong my visit in order to shoot the short with your son, as I find it an incredibly worthy cause!!

I haven't asked, but I know that I can look to Park Road's facility to do the post on the short.

Been also a writer I'll have no problem in writing the story line either... ;)

My best friend's son, is also a skater in Vegas, and I never seen him once ware an helmet!! He is 13, so many kids don't ware an helmet to be cool... But is not so cool when your head gets smashed to the side curb... So this is something that really will save lives.

Lets talked over email me ketchrossi@ketchrossistudios.com

PS: Best of health to your son, and a fast and full recovery!!
    KETCH ROSSiF i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

Senior Member Lliam Worthington's Avatar
    Hi John,

Incredibly sorry to hear bout your boy, but so glad he's ok. You of all people are not a guy who needs a reality check on the value of life,
    so i'm sure you guys will do a fantastic project. That very may well save lives and prevent the devastation such tragedies cause to families. Very valuable work mate.

I used to direct and tour a suicide prevention theatre piece that would be followed by workshops here in Oz, it's a tough audience to impact on with the - bullet proof - live forever - worry tomorrow - nature of youth, but if anyone can reach them, it's very likely a personal appeal by a peer with a powerful story to tell, and a man who also has been through their own very powerful story.

One of the interesting things that worked very well with some of our workshops, was playback theatre. Young people are known to have issues with seeing cause and effect, they prefer not to think about it, and the only other way you learn it is generally the hard way, via experience. So playback theatre was a means devised to help young people see the cause and effect of their actions. Where a scenario would play out, critical decisions would be made, and then the consequences of those decisions would be shown. Then you would rewind so you speak, get the audience to reconsider where and how things could be done differently - and then follow through the cause and effect. Was extremely powerful when done well and dramatically enabled you to have the obvious, very worst case scenario, through to minor - but still sucks - like maybe being booked for not having a helmet and being grounded and not being able to go out and see the girl who then dates someone else blah blah... Through to a positive ideal result. Which in this case could all be something so painless as putting on the helmet, but we often went deeper and showed how events and courses of action would spiral and how maybe an attitude towards safe behaviour or risk taking in general could be addressed.

HAve always thought this could be done extremely well with film and I'm sure some people have. Just a thought.

Wishing you all the very best with it mate.

Lliam

PS. Ketch Rossi - you sir, rock.
    Scarlet X # 517

Keep it personal, keep it simple and they'll remember it.

I have an old helmet cracked in half that took the hit for me once. I hold onto as a reminder any time I feel tempted to 'not bother'.

I would approach it like you would any ad campaign. Write out all the reasons people aren't doing it and then tailor the message to directly address those 'arguments'. Thinking back one thing to definitely not do is make it "cool" or hip. That always backfires.

I imagine your target audience is teenagers as you say. Any younger and they're probably under the supervision of their parents. I would say treat them like rational adults. Take them seriously and they'll listen seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bannister View Post
    Hi all,

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    John,

firstly truly sorry for what happened to Michael, yet glad He is kinda of okay, but very glad that He has such drive to do this.

I'm coming to Wellington NZ, and I'll be more then happy to prolong my visit in order to shoot the short with your son, as I find it an incredibly worthy cause!!

I haven't asked, but I know that I can look to Park Road's facility to do the post on the short.

Been also a writer I'll have no problem in writing the story line either... ;)

My best friend's son, is also a skater in Vegas, and I never seen him once ware an helmet!! He is 13, so many kids don't ware an helmet to be cool... But is not so cool when your head gets smashed to the side curb... So this is something that really will save lives.

Lets talked over email me ketchrossi@ketchrossistudios.com

PS: Best of health to your son, and a fast and full recovery!!
    I am Praying for You and Michael.

Wow Ketch that is Great of you to prolong your Trip to shoot the short!

I would like to offer my help with any WebWork (WebSite design) for marketing. Please PM me
    "Life is full of obstacles. They never end. The ones that get past them have the richest life."
    Jim Jannard

John, As a new Dad my heart breaks to think about what you went through with your son. It also great to hear he's already improving. In my experience, big changes like this are almost never as bad as we first think, so keep your chin up and take it one day at a time. Just remember, there's nothing so bad that it can't be made good :) It sounds like you and your son are making your best moves to get to that place. All I could offer would be a observation that you rarely if ever see Tony hawk without a helmet on. Maybe some REDUser knows him?
    Best wishes, Jeff
    Epic-X #5585 - Amphibico Rouge Underwater Housing
    www.jeffwhitehurst.com
    Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
    - Albert Einstein