Thread: Resolve, how to affect a batch of clips?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Resolve, how to affect a batch of clips? 
    Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    Question: Let's say I've got a whole bunch of clips in one room graded to match each other. Not the whole film, but one large scene. Can I isolate that group of clips to apply a new grade to them on top of whats already been done? If I want to make the whole scene a little cooler?

Do I do this with a "group"?

Thanks!
    CB

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

yes, you can do it with groups and there are different options for once clips are grouped for doing relative changes, etc. Just make sure you have a full understanding of groups, linking, batch copy, etc. I highly recommend the Ripple Training for Resolve with Alexis. It's very thorough. and very cheap $79
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    yes, you can do it with groups and there are different options for once clips are grouped for doing relative changes, etc. Just make sure you have a full understanding of groups, linking, batch copy, etc. I highly recommend the Ripple Training for Resolve with Alexis. It's very thorough. and very cheap $79
    Well, not exactly...
    In order to be able to group range of shots, all shots MUST have same nodes. If even one of the shots have different nodes it will not work. This had been pointed out to BM a long time ago. Hopefully V9 will fix this.
    Meanwhile, you could use "track" tab to add an overall adjustment. Unfortunately, that is not what OP wants, as it will affect the whole timeline.
    Ripple grade could be the answer, but, unless I'm mistaken, it only correctly works with the Resolve panel.

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Well, not exactly...
    In order to be able to group range of shots, all shots MUST have same nodes. If even one of the shots have different nodes it will not work. This had been pointed out to BM a long time ago. Hopefully V9 will fix this.
    Meanwhile, you could use "track" tab to add an overall adjustment. Unfortunately, that is not what OP wants, as it will affect the whole timeline.
    Ripple grade could be the answer, but, unless I'm mistaken, it only correctly works with the Resolve panel.
    Or you could just add one node at the end of the node tree to one of the shots, do the correction on it, then copy that node to the end of the node tree on each of the other shots. Even though that would be a manual operation, it can be done very quickly via a drag and drop operation by using the "display node tree" function on the source shot.

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    Or you could just add one node at the end of the node tree to one of the shots, do the correction on it, then copy that node to the end of the node tree on each of the other shots. Even though that would be a manual operation, it can be done very quickly via a drag and drop operation by using the "display node tree" function on the source shot.
    Or BM could just fix this and another silliness, like the inability to copy a grade to multiple events...

You can create a new event and turn the tracking correction on and off at a scene change. I've done that in rare cases where a producer wanted to change a lengthy scene (like bumping up the saturation 5%) and then going back to normal. Takes mere seconds to do.
    www.cinesound.tv | location sound / post-production consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    You can create a new event and turn the tracking correction on and off at a scene change. I've done that in rare cases where a producer wanted to change a lengthy scene (like bumping up the saturation 5%) and then going back to normal. Takes mere seconds to do.
    What's a "tracking correction"? I'm not sure I follow.

Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    I think he's talking about doing a track correction, which will apply to the whole session and then using dynamics to limit it to the selected scenes. Smart. Will try that.

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

Or BM could just fix this and another silliness, like the inability to copy a grade to multiple events...
    I believe you can do that (that's what "ripple absolute" would be for). You just can't do it without the DaVinci panels.

I'm sure a lot of these things will be addressed over time. But saying "they could just fix this" doesn't really help anyone who's asking about something they need to do today.

I believe you can do that (that's what "ripple absolute" would be for). You just can't do it without the DaVinci panels.
    I'm pretty sure, I said this already pretty much verbatim "Ripple grade could be the answer, but, unless I'm mistaken, it only correctly works with the Resolve panel."

I'm sure a lot of these things will be addressed over time. But saying "they could just fix this" doesn't really help anyone who's asking about something they need to do today.
    I didn't know I needed to explain this, nevertheless, pointing out why particular approach, such as group grading adjustment may not work in this particular example can be as important as coming out with a workaround. But whatever...
    Personally I choose not to wait for BM to address these very fundamental shortcomings of Resolve software. I prefer to just use the software, without explaining and apologizing to my clients why I can't do some basic things, like temporal based noise reduction, proper sharpening, timeline versioning or temporal interpolated speed changes to name a few. Until then I will avoid Resolve, unless I absolutely must use it, like in case of remote grading, thank you...