Thread: Just watched first part of zacuto shootout....

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Just watched first part of zacuto shootout.... 
    Just watched first part of zacuto shootout, and after seeing all the cameras back to back on a 2k projector, wow. Really showed how far the mid range cameras have come. Even the GH2 was not too bad after post.

What was shocking was how bad the post production made some cameras look and other better. From having seen the work done on all the cameras, the alexa and F3 are the most pleasing to me after post, but the epic... the epic was fucking awful like really really bad post/grade. It was average in terms of the basic grade, not really standing out, but the 'master cine grade to make the camera as good as possible' was boarder line film student. I think everyone there was shocked at how bad it looked. I know the epic can look fantastic, but if i was naive and took one test as the 'be all and end all' of cameras as people seem to, i would not want to buy an epic, i would want a F3 or alexa or the cine that made the gh2 look good.

Also, the test is retarded, many of the cines have pushed the grades to get the most dynamic range, regardless of how shit it looks even though they stated at the start, 'to get the most pleasing image'. Half ignored horrible color and such to get the sky's in exposure etc.

The cameras - post grade - to me, ranked, alexa, f3, gh2, f65, c300, fs100, 7d, epic. iphone

I love epic, but i can see from a producers perspective why they take the alexa.

Also if you watch this, bring headphones and an ipod, the music during is horrific, and credits seem like the avengers climax.....

seeing this is such a professional test, the quality of the entire production doesn't say much. It just feels tacky.

Also if you go to a screening, be prepare for tech-bots to constantly rattle out things such as "s-Log, 4:2:0, 4:4:4 23.98, log-c 25mbit/s hacked 35 megawhattss five bits 40k" and go round in circles til the point you need to walk out. Specs are for paper, if you dont know them, look em up, nearly everyone has a phone with net these days.

I suggest the Zacuto instead of having a 'Great camera shootout' have a 'Great tech-spec shootout' in which they put people who cannot talk about anything but specs in a room with some nail ridden 4x2's. That would be more entertaining.

Also, if red keeps talking about bring a knife to a gun fight, in this test, they bought a machine gun operated by a generic James bond villain. They hit nothing.
    Red EPIC available for hire in SYDNEY

Full production kit with lenses

jason@wonderworldfilms.com.au
    http://www.wonderworldfilms.com.au/

EPIC M -1150

Is this online?
    Twitter: @hybridvigorfilm

Hybrid Vigor is a 100% crowdfunded feature film.
    We've been backed over 1,900 times by people from 44 countries.

I'm so confused about the point of your post....but I am curious to see the show.

Well, it seems to illustrate what most reasonable people think, ie it's not about the camera and its specs, but more about the people behind it. As a producer, I would rather hire a good dop with a GH2 than a bad one with an Epic. Sure, it's even better to have a good dop with an Epic, but dreams are only for the night ;-)

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Scott View Post
    I'm so confused about the point of your post....but I am curious to see the show.
    Guess the point was to say the show is crap and the epic certainly didn't shine against the others, even though it 'out specs' most of the others.
    Red EPIC available for hire in SYDNEY

Full production kit with lenses

jason@wonderworldfilms.com.au
    http://www.wonderworldfilms.com.au/

EPIC M -1150

The Producers Guild along with the ASC did a test recently and it should be ready to view around the middle of June. I am more curious about that test...

In the end we should all shoot our own tests, much like we did with film stocks and as we still do with lenses.

I do not understand, how do they do these tests.
    I think there is an underlying problem with those who manage the images.
    The problem and then the people who speak ill of the Red Epic, just looking at theShootout.
    But it is possible that there is no testing done as you have competent people who can manage the video streams correctly for each camera.
    I know for a fact that this camera is fantastic, it is also true that it took me a long timebefore you use it up, but now I would not turn back ever again of Arri Alexa, I have had for 1 year here at the television studio.
    The raw is a beautiful and ugly beast, it takes little to spoil everything, but when youknow how to use no more limits to the 'imagination.

I'll watch 'this test to see what the fuck they did.

Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    WEAPON CF #831 "AUDREY"
    SCARLET-W #45 "HEIDI " , EPIC #668 .
    ARRI ALEXA EV

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

www.rsi.ch

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Von Drayco View Post
    The cameras - post grade - to me, ranked, alexa, f3, gh2, f65, c300, fs100, 7d, epic. iphone

hahahhahahaha
    www.twitter.com/pcecilian
    Local 600 DIT
    3D dude

Ryan Walters no longer has a user account here apparently. Interesting.