Thread: Just watched first part of zacuto shootout....

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    thats another reason I have never put one penny in zacuto's pockets not to mention their stuff is as toy as their tests!!!!
    sergio Arguello:
    Epic-M 459,Epic-X 751
    RED Rocket™™™

sergioarguello.net

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    I just don't see the need for character assassination here, to suggest that the results were due to dishonest behavior. That's taking things too far.
    I agree. I can't imagine anyone TRIED to make RED look bad.

However, Zacuto should have waited, tried harder, and made sure every camera had an ASC caliber DP, so that the playing field was much horizontal.
    Last edited by Nick Morrison; 05-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

David, you are in on the conspiracy, I knew it! Doh... See I told you I can't help but think it's a conspiracy. kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    See, that's where I have a real problem, the notion that the guy shooting the Red footage and the guy coloring it deliberately sabotaged their Red footage. Generally these people are professionals (odds are high that I know the person who shot the Red footage for the Zacuto test) and are not trying to "make Red look bad". Zacuto asked Red to participate in the test, which is not the action of someone with a nefarious plan to make something look bad.

The only "shoot-out" I've seen to date is the older PGA-ASC test and the pre-MX Red footage was fine, not perfect, but the flaws were flaws that I've seen in other people's Red footage, there were no surprises there. Maybe some of us knew that Red could be made to look better but the mixed results were not atypical either. Rather than cry foul I think it would be better to learn from the mistakes in the testing methodology so that one didn't repeat them on one's own projects. And a lot of the problems with the footage were fixed in the later MX-sensor and the later color science, which just shows that there was room for improvement after all.

I just don't see the need for character assassination here, to suggest that the results were due to dishonest behavior. That's taking things too far.
    RED camera owner.

I agree Nick. I feel bad for Ryan too. He's a talented DP, but a test like this has so many variables.
    Here is the link to Ryans Blog:

http://thetown-crier.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    I actually kind of feel bad for Ryan Walters, because I got the sense he tried really hard, and did the best he could.

From what I remember...some of the other DP's at the shootout were ASC Guild members...ie Industry Heavy Weights...

How fair a fight was this, really?

I mean...because the shootout puts so much emphasis on the choices each DP brings to the table...what are we really seing?

How good the Epic or Alexa is? Or how good the DP lighting the scene was?

That's the main FLAW with this test.

If you read his blog, RYAN clearly did the best he could. But when you read his blog, you also get a sense that were other DP's there with vastly more experience than him. I think it was unfair position to put him in, and a silly way to compare the cameras. Zacuto should have waited till every camera had an ASC guild member at the helm, then it would be fair. Anything less is not acceptable.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Are there at least some stills posted from the test footage somewhere ?
    I hate talk, I want to see the images.
    -Les Dittert

Red is such a wildcard of company that has generated more controversy, intrigue, and antipathy e.g. corporate break-in's, stolen cameras, and email hacking by respected members of the industry, that I have no idea what to truly think.

Did the people directly working on the Red part of the test intentionally not do their best? I *HIGHLY DOUBT* it!

Was there bias on the part of some of the people who were involved with some aspects of the testing? I would be surprised if there wasn't.

Davinci Resolve 12.5.5.026
    Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0

I bought RED ONE four and half years ago without any tests.
    All I saw was some 2K ProRes portions of Crossing The Line and stills from Milk Girls :-)

Kudos to Ryan for having the balls to participate in the project.

+5K!

Davinci Resolve 12.5.5.026
    Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Von Drayco View Post
    I know the epic can look fantastic, but if i was naive and took one test as the 'be all and end all' of cameras as people seem to, i would not want to buy an epic, i would want a F3 or alexa or the cine that made the gh2 look good.
    Apparently this is the whole purpose of this laughable "test", so, mission accomplished.