I'm trying to get my head around the Framing Controls in RedCine-X Pro but unfortunately am a bit confused at the way these work. I've looked in the PDF manual but it doesn't seem to help much so perhaps I'm just not thinking about the process of cropping correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm very perplexed.
What I want to do is take 4096x2160 1.90:1 aspect ratio footage and transcode it to 1920x1080 ProRes HQ files with the edges cropped off to make it 16:9 aspect ratio without the bars on the top and bottom. I've attempted to modify the Meta framing preset to Fit Height with Center Crop and click Apply to: Bin (all clips) where my footage is in RedCine-X but it doesn't crop it. I've outlined my questions below in an attempt to figure these Framing Controls out.
- How would I best go about cropping the footage correctly to export to 16:9 aspect ratio ProRes files?
- Can the Meta preset be modified or is this locked to the footage (is this a preset made in-camera while shooting?)
- If the Meta preset is locked do I need to make a new preset to modify the Framing Control box? Or can I just use the Framing Controls and click the Apply button for all the clips in the bin?
- Do the Framing Controls look at the selected Export preset or are these completely independent?
- Can you edit Framing Presets once you make them?
- What are the differences between the Crop settings - No Crop, Center Crop, Custom, Frame Guide? (if No Crop is selected but the Fit Height/Width is selected how does this work? Does it still crop the footage?)
- Why is the Source Resolution relevant and why would you change this?
- Why does the Lock Aspect Ratio center crop the footage? Wouldn't it just crop the footage relevant to the aspect ratio of the full size? Or is this why changing Source Resolution is an option?
It looks like there's so much control but I have no clue how to properly go about doing it. I've tried a ton of ways to crop the footage but it always comes out with bars on it. Thanks so much!