Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Framing Controls - cropping and whatnot

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Note that all of this is very easy to do in DaVinci Resolve, plus you can save presets and so on. Just sayin'.

I would also advise shooting a sizing chart for any production like this that plans to crop after the fact, so there's a known standard that can be used for every single shoot day. The DSC charts are excellent:

marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I am trying to crop a Raven photage (4608x2160) to UHD (3840x2160).
    Doesn´t work.
    To frame the Raven video is not difficult but the exported R3D is not cropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Limberg View Post
    To fix this, edit your export preset. On the main "Format" page, in the Output Resolution section, select "Cropped Size" from the drop down combo box.
    When I go to the main Format page there is nothing in Output resolution named "Cropped Size".

Help Needed ...

Sverker, if I follow the path - File/Export/File Format/TIFF (just for example)/Output Resolution/...there's a drop down menu that gives preset resolutions.

If I choose 'R3D Trim' as the 'File Format' though, the drop down menu for resolutions isn't active. If I select a different File Format (TIFF for example) and change the resolution of that, then switch the File Format back to 'R3D Trim', the resolution I've already chosen seems to stick though.

I haven't actually exporting anything that way, but maybe you could try doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    If I choose 'R3D Trim' as the 'File Format' though, the drop down menu for resolutions isn't active. If I select a different File Format (TIFF for example) and change the resolution of that, then switch the File Format back to 'R3D Trim', the resolution I've already chosen seems to stick though.

I haven't actually exporting anything that way, but maybe you could try doing that?
    Thanks, Les.

Of course I want to export to R3D (What exactly does "Trim" mean?)

I followed your advice and when going back to R3D the drop down menu resoulution sticks, however grayed down.

And the resulting file still does not get cropped, it is still "Raven-sized".

Strange that the R3D is not the default codec in Redcine-X.

I even downloaded the very latest Redcine-X which said something about cropping.

Still no cigar ...
    Last edited by Sverker Hahn; 06-13-2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added a word

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #25  
    You can only trim the length of an R3D. Trim means to export just the section of the R3D you want. If you want to crop the frame size or export another resolution, you need to export a non-R3D file.

Thanks Stacey, I was literally looking further into it when you posted and found, like Sverker, that I could indeed export a cropped TIFF frame (as an example) but not a cropped R3D Trim.

So, with RedCine-X it is not possible to transform a 4608x2160 clip to 3840x2160, both in R3D, is that right?

For me, it is only one project that has been recorded in those two resolutions, so it is not a big problem.

In the future I really have to decide which to choose in camera.

But it really would have been sweet to record everything in "Raven-size" and, if needed, to transform in post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
    So, with RedCine-X it is not possible to transform a 4608x2160 clip to 3840x2160, both in R3D, is that right?
    That's correct, it's not possible to crop the R3D frame size/resolution and keep it as an R3D, you can only trim the length/duration of the clip.

Of course, if you want to export/transcode the R3D clips into another format, then you can change their frame size/resolution while doing so.