Thanks to the Dollyshop in Auckland and an Epic supplied by Jonathan Guest and Nick Burridge of Halcyon Entertainment NZ (http://vimeo.com/halcyonnz) we got to take out an Epic for a test shoot on the Technodolly.
A few complications (red universal mount wasn't mounting so universally on a couple of different slider dovetail plates, one Chroziel it wouldn't fit on at all, one custom made it wouldn't lock to, another (not sure whether it was custom or not) it mounted perfectly to.
Also, it seems Technodolly requires a slightly higher voltage than the sync signal sent from Epic, so we had to go with Genlock rather than shutter sync.
We were also using a really heavy lens and mattebox kindly on loan from Rocket Rentals in Auckland, which meant that we ended up having to not only weigh down the back of the camera with the quad battery mount and batteries, but also a dive weight ziptied on the back of the slider plate to get equal balance for the Technodolly head. Bit of an odd problem having a camera that was too light, but certainly easier to fix than having a camera that is too heavy!
This was all a test shoot to identify these potential issues, so while it ate into the day a bit on a paid shoot it would have all been picked up in pre-production testing, so no complaints here.
After getting around those issues we attempted quite a complicated move for a comp'd motion control shot. Lots of post work still to do of course but we were all in all very happy with the results of the onion skinning we were doing on set for previews, and are hopeful that the camera data provided out of the Technodolly will be a boon for our workflow for any post 3D additions we look to add.
Here are some photos of one very small technical marvel on top of one very large technical marvel, hopefully get to put some footage up soon.