Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: HP 820 Tower - RED EDITION

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    heh heh heh don't worry.. We are working very close with HP and Adobe to make sure the 6K Dragon is not muzzled when it arrives..
    This will be the Best Morning Exercise Routine
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

heh heh heh don't worry.. We are working very close with HP and Adobe to make sure the 6K Dragon is not muzzled when it arrives..
    I trust you guys, don't get me wrong. But as a one time system builder and integrator from back in the wild west dawn of Apple macs in TV, dropped frames and systems that live on the edge give me night sweats. I want a beyond-capable machine with 'sufficient horsepower' in Rolls Royce style. You know what I mean. I hope this is it ;)
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Helium 8K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our showreel , our OLPF products, or talk to us @kippertieltd

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    The problem is how can Apple call the shots and say they will implement native r3d without talking and working with the guys that invented it and are making the cameras that use it? This is what troubles me about Final Cut and why I switched to Adobe... However, I haven't switched hardware yet because it just works as amazing as when I bought into the mac platform 10 years ago. This HP workstation is the first really good reason for a switch... But that statement from Cook about the 2013 Macpro makes me wait for their hand before further switching...
    If you can wait then wait.. just remember he said " end of 2013 ". That's a pretty long wait for thunderbolt and usb 3... let alone speed.

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    I trust you guys, don't get me wrong. But as a one time system builder and integrator from back in the wild west dawn of Apple macs in TV, dropped frames and systems that live on the edge give me night sweats. I want a beyond-capable machine with 'sufficient horsepower' in Rolls Royce style. You know what I mean. I hope this is it ;)
    if it makes you feel better for the future... these 820's that Jim and I are using in our office right now we are using in resolutions above anything that Apple even supports.. so as of right now, Apple is not even an option on the table, purely because Apple can not drive single screens with the kind of resolution that we are using.

You need professional tools like Nvidia Mosaic... which kicks ass and is included with every PC Nvidia Quadro card, but Apple cares not to support, even in the Apple Quadro for Mac card.

If you can wait then wait.. just remember he said " end of 2013 ". That's a pretty long wait for thunderbolt and usb 3... let alone speed.
    Actually he said "later next year".

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.

Hehe, Jarred, sorry, can't help it- I think the time for my next tower update is dependant of what the Dragon demands, and when its coming out. I plan to upgrade for the Dragon as soon as it comes out (and I can get on the queue which I'm sure it will not be short!). If the upgrade completes before this new Macpro comes out, I have no choice but going to your then optimized HP tower. Untill then, new Retina Macbook Pro , 2.7ghz with 16gb ram, probably a thunderbolt enclosure and see how it goes with the rocket. Its obviously far from this tower but should manage half debayer editing... Its going to be the Dragon that is going to make my current workflow chuckle, I'm sure, and that is when a new Tower will come!

I'm, of course a very small team and I do not need the absolute fastest machine right now, and am sure many here need this and this tower will pay in speed and performance its price very fast for them. For me, while it would certainly boost productivity, it just doesn't warrant the leap to the dark side, yet!

EDIT- DAMN that thing looks sexy... And it has Blu-ray...
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony de Vries View Post
    Actually he said "later next year".
    we all know what that means :)

Yes ketch.. just for the heavy lifting. I have started to see DIT's move over to Windows machines.. the best DITs. It is really transparent when you are in the actual programs.. you would never know what os you are in, the windows machine is just way faster. You can hide it under the desk if you don't want anyone to know :)

Okay Jarred, if you keep talking to me like this, I might just end up ordering one... ;)
    Writer | Producer | Director | DP
    Ocean C o n s e r v a t i o n i s t

Are they showing a willingness?