Thread: Emmanuel lubezki: Soft side light

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Emmanuel lubezki: Soft side light 
    I just wanted to pose a question to the talented DPS in this forum. If you wanted to achieve the Emmanuel Lubezki side light look what would be your preffered method of doing that? I was thinking of using a diffused kino flo on the side. Someone suggested blasting a 2k through a lot of diffusion. Which would you guys suggest?

Dear Omar, there are many different ways to achieve a soft side light look. On my last feature film "lost in Sibiria" i used for many of my interiors Arri 18ks Max which i send though several layers of diffusion through the windows into my location. You need to create a big surface of light. The last layer was always a big butterfly, which then was evenly illuminated. The result was a very natural, soft sidelight which still had a strong direction. Then the actors where actually able to move free in the location - the light was always very natural. On one shortfilm, where i didn´t have the big units available, i actually used four 2Ks also going through one butterfly or a big diffusion frame to create one big lighting surface. Sometimes you have to help the sidelight by creating negative fill with a some duvertine or large flags. A diffused Kinoflo works as well in low key scenarios where you dont have to fight the lighting contrast of a window in the background.
    But you can also work without any artificial lighting source, as Emmanuel Lubezki did it on "tree of life"...

http://www.thecinematographer.info/a...i-amc-asc.html

i hope this helped.

This helped tremendously. Thank You Stefan

Id use an 8x frame with muslin and egg cratecrate, push a 6k already going through another smaller bit of light grid and then get an joleko, and make a hot point on the 8x with it. Right in the center, pointing right at the talent. You get super soft key with an amazing eye light.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Check out some stills from a film I shot last fall called "Concussion": http://davidkruta.com/#concussion

Much of the soft light I used involved building booklights of various sizes. Either a 1.2K HMI or 2K Open Face tungsten bounced into 8x8 Ultrabounce and diffused through 1/4 light grid, or for closeups and small sets I would use a Joker 400 bounced into 4x4 b-board and diffused through a 4x4 Light Grid.

A couple of the night shots were done with what I call Hanna lights - a very inexpensive method where you attach Xmas lights to a foamcore board.
    Director of Photography, Local 600
    davidkruta.com - info@davidkruta.com

ARRI Alexa Mini & WCU-4
    Cooke Anamorphic/i Lenses (25mm, 32mm, 40mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm)
    Leica Summicron-C Lenses (18mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm, 135mm)
    Lomo Square Front Anamorphics (35mm, 50mm, 80mm)