Thread: All Hail Jo-LEKO!!! & Thank You David Mullen!

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 All Hail Jo-LEKO!!! & Thank You David Mullen! 
    Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    When we were in pre-production for our recent short, A Man of Limited Emotional Means, I knew I had a bar scene that I would want to create a strong shaft of light in. So, naturally, I turned to RedUser and quickly to the Ask David Mullen Anything thread, which everyone here should totally read in entirety! David had already advised soomeone else in a similar situation to try an HMI adapted into a Source 4.

I did a little further research from there and found out that for about a thousand bucks, I could adapt one of my Joker 800's into the Omnipotent "Jo-LEKO". First you get something like an ETC Source 4 for about $350 and then you ket K5600s adapter kit for about $650 and BAMM you're in business.

I, and my Grip and Gaffer quickly fell head over heels for Jo-Leko. It bounces, it punches, it lights up trees from a hundred feet. Zoom it, flood it or shape it with the 4 internal blades.

Dude. I love me some Jo-Leko.

Did I already say that?

So, Thank You Mr. Mullen for opening my eyes to the beauty that is the bastard child of a stage light and a blue-collar HMI.

The scene below was totally overcast. Enter Jo-Leko...

And the setup for that...

and the bar scene that got it all goin in the first place...

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

Chris,

If you ever need just a bit less punch, get the K5600 "Bug-A-Beam Adapter".

For around $125, you can mount a Joker 400 HMI light head directly to an ETC Source 4 Ellipsoidal fixture.

That little sucker was pretty darn cool. When we first pulled that off the truck I was wondering what in the world you were doing with a stage spot. All the footage from those scenes looked gorgeous though and the setup was incredibly simple. Just that one light on a stand. Easy peasy.

*me anchoring the ladder. :)

christopher the etc source 4 you can get for 300-400 as you said, then the k5600 joleko adaptor for 600$ or so, but you have to already have the actual joker 800 hmi light which is somewhere in the $6000 for this to work correct? so i.e. total from scratch a jo-leko would run about 7000-8000 i take it?

First off, I really enjoy your posts and enthusiasm! I use Jo-Lekos all the time, and they are super handy, so this is a great thread to add, but please tell me you had that light plugged into a GFCI when it was on a low rolling stand 1 foot from a pool...?! Otherwise that's a frightening picture.

Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    Heh... Yeah, the exterior outlets were all GFCI. Also, the casters were locked, the stand was heavily bagged and tied off to an exterior structure.

Peter, yeah, it helps if you already own the $6k Joker in question.

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website