Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: The Gentleman's Underwater Bubble Blower Thread

Reply to Thread
Page 298 of 323 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 3221
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Thanks Tom! Those Stellars were a trip. I'm more used to the California Sea Lions who seem much more skittish and jumpy, although at times still interactive. But those bigger Stellars were straight up confident thugs ;) You give them an inch and they will pin your ass to the ground and start ripping shit up. So much fun though. I am in love with the Salish Sea and can definitely see myself moving the family to Vancouver Island some day. Absolutely magical part of the world.

Here are a few (very one-sided) :\ bts pics from the shoot: http://nateandsean.red.com/post/1598...-from-the-paul
    Sean Ruggeri

The 3rd Woman | Oscar Carvallo SS17
    https://vimeo.com/217421886

Director | Benjamin Nicolas
    DOP | Jacques Ballard

Weapon 8K VV, underwater scenes with Canon EF glass.

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Wow!! So crazy! So gorgeous! That moment at 0:50 is pretty mind blowing.
    Sean Ruggeri

Yeah sheeeeeet!!!! I know how much work is involved in a shoot like that and its crazy.
    So well done!

Hi I'm selling a couple of port extenders for the Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon housing if anyone is interested. More info on the Marketplace thread here.

Cheers
    Roger Munns
    Underwater Cameraman
    BLUE PLANET 2 | FORCES OF NATURE | LIFE STORY
    Epic-W #2548 'Lundy'
    Gates Deep Weapon Underwater Housing
    www.roger-munns.com

6. #2976 Reddish bands with Magic Filter and Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye 
    I’ve done some video test shoots using a RED Weapon 6K and a Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye lens.
    The filter was the Magic Filter, placed at the rear lens filter holder and the WB measure was taken, at the shoot depth and at the same shooting angle that the image was taken, using a 18% grey card.

No lights were used.

No problems with the procedure but all the clips shows two reddish bands at both sides of the footage. This happened no matter the depth and no matter the shooting angle relative to the sun. Picture attached.

Anyone had seen this happening before? Any clue of what can be happening?

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Attached Images
    Rui Guerra - PHOTOGUERRA Underwater Productions, Lda.
    www.photoguerra.net

My guess is CA due color separation/focus issues at extreme edges of image. Fisheye behind a dome port, plus a 6K sensor, puts you right out at the image plane curvature frontier of what's possible re uw imaging. The red spectrum may also be the sunlight reflectivity of the sandy bottom.

Some possible tests though, I'm sure you are aware of, but;

Check nodal point to dome port positioning. Gross alignment errors can cause that.

Shoot a 5K/4K image in same conditions, see if it's still there.

Shoot a 6K clip behind a flat port, still there? If so, that is a sensor issue.

Does an MTF chart for this lens exist? If so, compare that to a known stellar uw performer, such as the Canon 11-24, that should reveal some answers.

Please let us know what you find, thx.

Cheers

PS Graeme Nattress and Stacey Spears are probably to two top minds here re this issue.
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    FAA 333 UAS Aerial Cinematography 4K RAW
    Red Sea Pictures

This filter, this lens, and this port are used routinely on larger DSLR sensors from Nikon, Canon, and Sony without this issue.

Rui - what OLPF? I'll try to recreate this, and try some other filters. I've done a lot of work recently with prototype filters that do similar, but more aggressive and selective filtration, and have not seen this issue on 8K Helium w/ H2O or STD OLPF. I admit to almost never using filters with Dragon, I wasn't comfortable cutting available light.

Are you only seeing this color shift in water, or is it apparent in air as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    My guess is CA due color separation/focus issues at extreme edges of image. Fisheye behind a dome port, plus a 6K sensor, puts you right out at the image plane curvature frontier of what's possible re uw imaging. The red spectrum may also be the sunlight reflectivity of the sandy bottom.

Some possible tests though, I'm sure you are aware of, but;

Check nodal point to dome port positioning. Gross alignment errors can cause that.

Shoot a 5K/4K image in same conditions, see if it's still there.

Shoot a 6K clip behind a flat port, still there? If so, that is a sensor issue.

Does an MTF chart for this lens exist? If so, compare that to a known stellar uw performer, such as the Canon 11-24, that should reveal some answers.

Please let us know what you find, thx.

Cheers

PS Graeme Nattress and Stacey Spears are probably to two top minds here re this issue.
    Hi Tom,

With the same lens and dome port combination there is no issue at all. The problem only happens when I add the Magic Filter. So I'm quite sure that the problem is not with the sensor, dome port placement/curvature or camera resolution.
    The reddish area remains the same even when the camera is pointed towards the open water, so it's not also a sand reflection.

If I shoot at 5K/4K, due to sensor crop, there is no issue, but I'm testing it to use in full 6K resolution.
    Didn't try it with a flat port (because it's a fisheye lens), but I will do some dry tests very soon, without any port at all.

I'll post the conclusions.

Thanks!
    www.photoguerra.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Canon View Post
    This filter, this lens, and this port are used routinely on larger DSLR sensors from Nikon, Canon, and Sony without this issue.

Rui - what OLPF? I'll try to recreate this, and try some other filters. I've done a lot of work recently with prototype filters that do similar, but more aggressive and selective filtration, and have not seen this issue on 8K Helium w/ H2O or STD OLPF. I admit to almost never using filters with Dragon, I wasn't comfortable cutting available light.

Are you only seeing this color shift in water, or is it apparent in air as well?

Hi Ryan!

Yes, you are right and it's also a new problem even for me.
    I'm using the standard OLPF.

I'm interested to know what kind of filters are you testing and in a general manner what filters do other members use with good results.
    I'm also not a big fun of filters (I prefer strong artificial lights) but there are some situations when it's almost inevitable to use them in order to achieve good color. Also natural light is less prone to scare some subjects away :-)
    I also hate the light loss with filters :-(

So far I've test this only underwater. But I will do some dry test in air too, this afternoon, to see if it happens also in air.

I'll share the results soon.

Thanks for your input.
    www.photoguerra.net