Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: The Gentleman's Underwater Bubble Blower Thread

Reply to Thread
Page 316 of 316 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316
Results 3,151 to 3,152 of 3152
  1. #3151 Buried... 
    Senior Member John J Ellerbrock's Avatar
    Two custom projects and Windows 10 purgatory have kept me away from these forums for 6 weeks. I see a couple questions posed to me, I'll answer shortly. Plus some new product announcements.

J-
    John J Ellerbrock
    President
    Gates Underwater Products, Inc

Don't Take a Chance....Take a Gates
    GatesHousings.com

2. #3152 Glass Domes and AR Coatings 
    Senior Member John J Ellerbrock's Avatar
    Gates uses AR coatings only on the Concave (inside) surface of a dome. Why? Two reasons:

* Inside is needed. The inside glass / air interface reflects about 10% of incident light. The water / glass interface is less than 1%. So the biggest gain at knocking down reflections is with an AR coating is on the inside surface.

* Salt water degradation. While we can gain some additional benefit by AR coating the Concvex (outside) surface, sooner or later salt water eats it away. The AR coating start to look bad and eventually does nothing. So it becomes a practical measure to skip the AR coating on the outside.

Decades of Gates and customer experience bears out this formula. Reflections common with acrylic domes / no AR coating are absent with a glass dome AR coated on the inside.

J-

PS -- Harald / Seacam is a brilliant engineer. When discussing the topic of AR coatings on the outside of a dome some years ago, he simply said "Don't do it. It's stupid." LMAO.

John J Ellerbrock
    President
    Gates Underwater Products, Inc

Don't Take a Chance....Take a Gates
    GatesHousings.com