Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Everything changes... IMPORTANT post. 
    Everything in the electronics world changes... usually for the better, cheaper and faster. EPIC just did.

We have learned how to make EPICs in quantity, lowered our assembly costs, found better suppliers and paid off our NRE.

That means we can continue to charge the same for an EPIC (and now make an obscene amount of profit) or lower the price.

Those of you that paid the initial price hopefully got your money's worth. It was the best price we could offer at the time. You rented your cameras. You used them to generate income by shooting projects.

The industry struggles how to handle it when technology gets better for cheaper. We just tell the truth.

We are ready to lower prices on EPIC.

So if you bought an EPIC did you lose? Only if you did not put your EPIC to work. These are professional tools. They need to work. That is your responsibility.

Is your EPIC still relevant? Absolutely. Can it be upgraded to Dragon? Yes. Is it frustrating that you paid $X and it will soon be sold for some percentage less than X? Yes. But this is the nature of electronics. It has been. It is. And it always will be.

I paid over $2400 (in 1984 dollars) for an original 1984 Macintosh. That is over $4000 worth of today's money. It had no hard drive. It was 128K of RAM. 3.5" floppys. All I could do with a 1984 Macintosh was MacPaint and MacWrite.

Today... for $4000 you can buy an iMac with a ton of RAM and a bazillion times more in storage that is 10,000 times faster and more capable with a billion times more applications. If you thought the world was changing rapidly then... hold on to your hat. We now live in the world of exponential.

So. We could easily pretend and invent a new model to justify a lower price with higher performance. You are too smart for that. So are we. Instead... we will just lower the price of EPIC.

EPIC continues to be modular. Dragon will be an upgrade. Meizler is a module. All is good in the world if you accept the fact that everything gets better, cheaper, faster and for less money over time.

If you bought an EPIC in the past 30 days... we will offer a credit towards accessories. That amount will be posted along with the new EPIC pricing. Nov. 1st is when it happens.

Here is to transparency and honesty. Here is to the future. This is all an experiment. Let's see how it goes...

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 10-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

WOW good job Red
    "Life is full of obstacles. They never end. The ones that get past them have the richest life."
    Jim Jannard

Speechless. This is why i love this company.
    Samir Patel
    samirpatel.tv
    twitter: @samir_patel
    Gear: RED, Canon, Nikon, Leica-R, Contax Zeiss

this is it!!! Thanks Jim..Now its not dream to hop on Epic train after Scarlet..
    What about Scarlet prices?

Wonderful, you guys are awesome. I just made my first purchase today, and am so proud to be a member of the RED family.

Simply amazing, Jim. Thank you.
    Director / Editor / Camera Geek / Hired Gun
    www.robinmoran.com
    www.focusedequipment.com
    Red M-X SSD #5711 'Pandora'
    Epic-X #1649 'Xavier'
    Scarlet-X #3156 'Lucky'
    CF Epic-M Dragon #39 'Rama' and #58 'Yana'
    Alexa XT Plus 'Alexis' and 'Anastasia'
    Cooke S4/i Lens set, Cooke miniS4/i set, Schneider Cine-Xenar III set, Zeiss Superspeeds MK3

Jim, I applaud your transparency, your constantly evolving business model, and your concern for your customers...all too rare in this industry!
    RED EPIC DRAGON, Schneider Xenon FF's, Letus Helix
    Contax Zeiss primes upgraded by RP Lens, REDucation Feb. 2012
    Cinematography & Post Faculty, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI, USA

REDuser Sponsor
    Hmm...so if I just paid for a BT scarlet but it hasn't been delivered yet - would I be better off going for this epic x at a lower than normal price?

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    This is another reason why building our own factories in California and manufacturing our cameras here was a great idea.

When manufacturing or assembly improves their process, becomes more efficient, and it results in cost savings, those savings can get directly passed down to the customer.

I can pretty much assure you that if we hired a factory somewhere else to build our product, we would never catch wind of those efficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Hmm...so if I just paid for a BT scarlet but it hasn't been delivered yet - would I be better off going for this epic x at a lower than normal price?
    I was wondering the same thing ....