Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 101 of 118 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1176
  1. #1001  
    Member Peer Landa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Norwegian lost in CA
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post
    I simply am not too interested in some lines of work, since they - despite giving me money - just makes me sad.

    Others have different perspectives, and I totally respect that.

    But to me, value is not measured in cash, but in images and satisfaction with life and work.
    Well, keep in mind that Gunleik is from Norway -- hence, his entire value system is upside-down. Who wants to be happy when you can have money instead?! Crazy!

    -- peer

    (jepp, også jeg er Norsk -- fra Ryfylke ;^)
     

  2. #1002  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by John semikian View Post
    how can you be so bold in your statement?
    RED taught me well. ;)
     

  3. #1003  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,289
    101 pages of discussion about a drop in price as though the price reduction is about cameras. And I guess that's understandable since cameras are what RED is primarily known for. But I think the cameras are coming down in price to act almost like a loss leader even though their sales will still be profitable.

    All I'm saying is try not to concentrate on one type of product. Think RED SYSTEM. RED Digital Cinema is becoming a company that paints with broad strokes.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC
     

  4. #1004  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    ... But I think the cameras are coming down in price to act almost like a loss leader even though their sales will still be profitable.
    People would see through this strategy and it doesn't serve RED's desire to be transparent. Sell brains as a loss leader and reap profits from needed accessories that really help it compete with the other options is a really old and tired strategy and that isn't RED's style.

    RED needs to be direct as its always been. Lower the solution cost, and don't focus on the brain cost alone.
     

  5. #1005  
    Senior Member Eric Santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,685
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >
     

  6. #1006  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kamkolkar View Post
    People would see through this strategy and it doesn't serve RED's desire to be transparent. Sell brains as a loss leader and reap profits from needed accessories that really help it compete with the other options is a really old and tired strategy and that isn't RED's style.

    RED needs to be direct as its always been. Lower the solution cost, and don't focus on the brain cost alone.
    Just sayin' the more people you have using your capture product, the more people who will buy your exhibition product.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC
     

  7. #1007  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Just sayin' the more people you have using your capture product, the more people who will buy your exhibition product.
    Ah yes, indeed. I hope RED is in this mode of thinking of the pipeline of products they have, and lowering the costs for the overall solution. Given they are talking about a lowering of costs TODAY, and since acquisition/post are the elements in play as of today, I hope they end up lowering the cost for those two across their product portfolio.
     

  8. #1008  
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    58
    Elsie, that same logic really applies both ways. If someone is buying a Red Epic, it is almost 100% guaranteed they will be spending a significant amount of money on accessories REQUIRED to operate the camera.

    I think the debate here is really about the fact that by decreasing prices across the board and not just the brain, it could be a positive impact on all owners of Epic cameras, not just the new would-be customers of Sony / etc.

    But again, I really do think Jim, Jarred, and their team of business experts probably have a better understanding of what they are doing than any of us, and I think everyone will reap the benefits eventually, even if it hurts a little bit at first.
     

  9. #1009  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C Smith View Post
    I think the debate here is really about the fact that by decreasing prices across the board and not just the brain, it could be a positive impact on all owners of Epic cameras, not just the new would-be customers of Sony / etc.

    But again, I really do think Jim, Jarred, and their team of business experts probably have a better understanding of what they are doing than any of us, and I think everyone will reap the benefits eventually, even if it hurts a little bit at first.
    Agreed. It all depends on their business goal, which they could NEVER share with the public (which includes their competitors). So we can only speculate, both on the business goal, and how they may try and achieve it. Its fun, but in the end, not really our call. If indeed they are scanning these forums for suggestions and ideas, I hope they got something worthwhile out of these 100+ pages. ;)
     

  10. #1010  
    Member Peer Landa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Norwegian lost in CA
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ruffo View Post
    The only people here who own an Epic and would not be negatively affected by a price drop (whether they realize it or not) are people who are not existing Red customers and hobbyists.
    How silly. How utterly illogic. How can you "own an Epic" and NOT be an "existing Red customer"..?! Pray tell.


    -- peer
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts