Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 105 of 118 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1176

Love this

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Starkey View Post
    [/video]
    Love this
    haha, yes. I was just about to post that. Nice!

Saying that anything on youtube is really "art" is a bit of a stretch... but yea, you get the idea.

Great clip Evan, i especially love Coppola's words ... "the so called professionalism about movies will be destroyed ... forever ... you know ... at it will really be a art form". Go RED !

Some context.

Whilst RED rolled out the first so called "4k" kit that was suitable for owner operators, it wasn't because the rest of the industry were not interested in pushing the envelope or creating a better image, for they considered 4k not a large enough jump from HD and had their sights set on 8k instead.
    Sony and others have delivered modules for the back of cameras for twenty years, dockable recorders, fibre links, HDSDI outputs, 4 channel audio inputs ect.
    In the f55 they have released a camera with features many have been asking RED to deliver for 5 years; global shutter and filter wheel.
    So it can hardly be claimed that Sony are techno copy cats.

In respect to the competition, I doubt that one camera can be built at the moment that can compete with the combined feature set and "looks" from Arri, Sony and Panavision.
    A choice is good for the industry.

Jim wrote the other day that 90% of his customers were indies, this is a segment that is very price sensitive, but, based on experience with other manufacturers, I suspect there is very large profit margin on Epic that can be trimmed now R&D has apparently been recovered.

The question is, can Red lower prices and still afford to offer sensibly priced upgrades to keep the Epic from being seen to become obsolete?

Perhaps they should be making a new TRUE 8K camera rather than continuing to update the resolution of the Epic for years to come?
    By all means continue to tweake the feature set so the 4k camera but build a new >8k camera?

Two cameras, two resolutions, two price points?

Mike Brennan
    DP
    Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Brennan View Post
    Some context.

Whilst RED rolled out the first so called "4k" kit that was suitable for owner operators, it wasn't because the rest of the industry were not interested in pushing the envelope or creating a better image, for they considered 4k not a large enough jump from HD and had their sights set on 8k instead.
    Sony and others have delivered modules for the back of cameras for twenty years, dockable recorders, fibre links, HDSDI outputs, 4 channel audio inputs ect.
    In the f55 they have released a camera with features many have been asking RED to deliver for 5 years; global shutter and filter wheel.
    So it can hardly be claimed that Sony are techno copy cats.

In respect to the competition, I doubt that one camera can be built at the moment that can compete with the combined feature set and "looks" from Arri, Sony and Panavision.
    A choice is good for the industry.

Jim wrote the other day that 90% of his customers were indies, this is a segment that is very price sensitive, but, based on experience with other manufacturers, I suspect there is very large profit margin on Epic that can be trimmed now R&D has apparently been recovered.

The question is, can Red lower prices and still afford to offer sensibly priced upgrades to keep the Epic from being seen to become obsolete?

Perhaps they should be making a new TRUE 8K camera rather than continuing to update the resolution of the Epic for years to come?
    By all means continue to tweake the feature set so the 4k camera but build a new >8k camera?

Two cameras, two resolutions, two price points?

Mike Brennan
    DP
    Melbourne
    Monstro.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Is the announcement still coming today? I've read through all these pages, by now $50 off and a Starbucks gift card would be nice.. :/

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeach View Post
    Is the announcement still coming today? I've read through all these pages, by now $50 off and a Starbucks gift card would be nice.. :/
    Tomorrow at 5pm pst.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

This is one of my favourite documentary's
    A Legacy of Filmmakers: The Early Years of American Zoetrope
    http://vimeo.com/7826694

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I'm going to stick up for the younger generation who will supposedly tarnish the RED name. The craft of filmmaking which was once accessible to those that went to school, has suddenly become an affordable hobby available to anyone with some ambition and a dream. For many years I used to train students young and old, on how to use 3D animation software. Hands down, the young kids that have never had any exposure to anything like it, were the ones that blew me away. We need to stop thinking about this elitist attitude and elevating status towards technology purely on cost. Technology is changing so rapidly that your business model shouldn't rely on paying off the gear in a year or two. It has to be within a few jobs or it's not worth to buy. So I'm sorry for those that have invested a lot, but the writing was on the wall. Everything you think you know about this business is about to turn upside down. We are the old dogs about to get our asses kicked. Adapt or die. Red set out to make affordable gear for the indie filmmakers and they will continue to do so. This price cut is only the beginning. Things will continue to get cheaper. You can bet on that. Buying expensive gear does not get you ahead. Buying the most expensive shovel doesn't guarantee a better hole. Sorry for the rant. The sooner we get on with the new regime, the better.
    Bravo! Great attitude & perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    You know the old saying about ASS/U/ME.

As for talking about how others "feel" - I didn't think that was the issue in this discussion. Of course people "feel" disappointed or angry or upset or cheated or fearful. But the real issue is the rational thought behind running a business and acting and thinking rationally. I am not contesting anyone's "feelings." My comments have been pointed at those who can't seem to get used to the idea that an "investment" in technology with an expectation of stable prices and/or value, is a fool's bet from the beginning. Would it make you "feel" better if I "felt" sorry for all of us who paid full price for our equipment? (Doesn't change the rationale of the actions people have taken.)

I don't think you mean "literally" worthless. If that's the case, send it along to me - I'll pay shipping. LOL
    PM me your address and you can have my 640GB Red drives that I paid $1200 and waited 6 months for, for free. I couldn't sell them for anything. I use them to dump random stuff on. Cool paper weight though.

The original Red 18-50mm zoom? Yeah, $6000 piece of glass I couldn't sell for $2000. No glass depreciates that much.

Literally any R1 premium priced accessory is worthless today. Quad battery module? Try giving them away. Red CF cards, bought for $1200 sold for $350 a year later, I had to throw in 3 extra cards to do it. 7" Red monitor? Bought for $3500, worthless today. Bomb EVF? Bought for $3200, waited a year for it, never worked right, six months later new OLED EVF is out, yours for extra $1200!

I can go on but why. You are a Scarlet hobbyist, none of it applies to you.

PM me and you can have a cool Red drive paper weight. You are welcome!
    Last edited by Milan Spasic; 10-31-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    milanspasic.com
    Gemini #88