Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 108 of 118 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1176
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ruffo View Post
    That is not a good thing. That means all of us working for free, needing a day job. To applaud this does not make sense.

That said, it never happened. When was the last time you went to the theater ( aside from maybe 3 gimmick films in the past 20 years) and what was playing there was created by untrained amateurs? Turn on your television: see nothing made by untrained amateurs? I thought so.

There is a real reason why some DPs make $10 000 a day. They can do things and have skills the average person cannot. Lots of people have Epics or can rent them - it doesn't mean hardly any of them do what David Mullen does.
    It doesn't mean people will be working for free as an exact result. It may mean that some work for free for some time, but that's been the case for countless numbers of films. It also doesn't mean you're going to be out of work if you're good. EVERYONE in the world can get their hands on a pencil, and a piece of paper, that doesn't mean everyone in the world is a literary genius capable of writing masterpiece novels; or even tacky 'romance' novels for that matter.

Having tools that can create art, and having the artistic ability to create art, have always been and always will be two very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Brennan View Post
    Its not nonsensical to relate historical fact.
    Millions of $$ spent on developing Super High Vision and UltraHD by NHK and BBC and others.

You are mistaken in your above argument as you suppose that viewing environments for ultraHD are the same for HD. What may be wasted resolution on a 40 inch screen from three meters is not wasted on a 120 inch screen.

And sure they were anti 4k as it didnt fit into long term plans.

Mike Brennan
    DP
    Melbourne
    Michael, most of the "2K is enough" arguements were based on movie theatre seating, not home theatres.

That there has been work on the 8K UHD spec is indeed a historical fact. It's also a fact that there has been work on the 4K QHD spec... and there is still probably no good way to broadcast either. So sure, there has been work on UHD, just like I can go to an auto show with technologies that will never make their way to the road. And to use the UHD spec as a basis to conclude Sony and Arri were holding off on 4K cameras b/c they were waiting for a rather soon adopting of 8K is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Spasic View Post
    Stuff we've payed premium prices and waited for months on to arrive, only a couple of years ago, is literally worthless.
    Frankly, when reading Rob's and Milan's many posts, I must say it makes me wonder how & why they (who both so arrogantly claim being super "professional" and "knowledgeable" about the film industry) become so inanely bitter about a price decrease. How silly.

If they indeed had this claimed business experience, they should've also anticipated such a move by RED. Again, how silly can you get.

(And -- please Milan -- I'm too old to read all your infantile profanity laced PM's)

-- peer

Quote Originally Posted by CocoBermudez View Post
    Heck...if he doesn't want it and you're giving it for free...I'll take it for my RED ONE... :). I'll even send you a cool retro soccer shirt as a thank you from one of my other failed businesses....I should have stuck to filmmaking rather than clothing manufacturing...... Geez...what was I thinking....
    Coco, pm me your snail mail addy and you've got it. Heck, I'll throw the $120 red drive cable in for free. You totally deserve it. Loved your short.

I'd certainly rather give it to a true artist than a Silicon Valley hobby cinematographer.
    milanspasic.com
    Gemini #88

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stone View Post
    Milan, I went and looked at your website. Your work looks very very good. I can't say for for sure, but I would think it got better as you went along. If I were you, I would recognize that as money well spent.
    Thanks Gary, I'm sure going along. What other choice do I have? Just voicing my opinion is all.

I have no complaints about the camera system itself at all, otherwise I wouldn't be $120k deep into it.
    milanspasic.com
    Gemini #88

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Spasic View Post
    I hope mommy and daddy agreed to pay for your newly priced Epic. Good luck kid and welcome to the business!
    Little do you know.

-- peer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
    It doesn't mean people will be working for free as an exact result. It may mean that some work for free for some time, but that's been the case for countless numbers of films. It also doesn't mean you're going to be out of work if you're good. EVERYONE in the world can get their hands on a pencil, and a piece of paper, that doesn't mean everyone in the world is a literary genius capable of writing masterpiece novels; or even tacky 'romance' novels for that matter.

Having tools that can create art, and having the artistic ability to create art, have always been and always will be two very different things.
    You are agreeing with me. That said, you still need lights, locations, dollies, Steadicams... You need actors who can act and very importantly a script that si not a rough first draft. These things take time and money to be any good, no matter how much your camera costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stone View Post
    Your mindset is the reason movies like "Spider-Man 3" cost $250 million dollars and are less fun to watch than pooping a knife. Technically amazing, yes. But, an outright chore to sit through.
    Millions and millions of moviegoers disagree with you.

Please do not get personal. I am really tired of it, and just issued the first temporary ban.
    Last edited by Martin Weiss; 11-01-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
    Michael, most of the "2K is enough" arguements were based on movie theatre seating, not home theatres.

That there has been work on the 8K UHD spec is indeed a historical fact. It's also a fact that there has been work on the 4K QHD spec... and there is still probably no good way to broadcast either. So sure, there has been work on UHD, just like I can go to an auto show and technologies that will never make its way to the road. And to use the UHD spec as a basis to conclude Sony and Arri were holding off on 4K cameras b/c they were waiting for a rather soon adopting of 8K is a stretch.
    My understanding is that there is now a ratified standard for 8k UHD. I'm also under the impression that the BBC made test broadcasts of UHD during the olympics (in fact I remember there were cinema screenings of this in a number of citys here in the UK). I think there are also test broadcasts in Japan right now. I'm a bit busy right now and can't check all my facts on this, so please feel free to do so, I could have some finer points wrong or be a bit off base but I think that 8k is very much on its way.

Havn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure how this relates to anything in context, but I very much believe we are heading for an 8k future (which will be a good thing in a lot of ways I think!)

love

Freya