Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 114 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1176
    There's so much more to a production than just the camera. At this point both an Arri M18 and a proper steadicam system with a wireless follow focus cost more than a Scarlet and lets not forget the cost of PL Lenses which make the cost of a Scarlet look like chump change. If indies want professional results they will need much more than a camera. Film permits, locations, talented actors. I don't see much change happening in Hollywood because of it. A pro camera will not turn anyone into the next Hollwood bigshot. Hollywood has never chosen RED because of it's price. They chose it because of the image quality, and they will continue to do so. It pisses me off when I'm told I need a million dollars worth of insurance coverage in order to shoot some dialogue on a sidewalk. I often ask myself why? In case my lens falls on the ground and someone steps on some broken glass? But this is how the industry works. The next Spiderman will still cost $250 million even if RED gave away their cameras for free. There will be low budget films with higher quality images. We will see higher quality wedding videos. The pros will continue to be pros because they have access to everything else. A few indie filmmakers will shine high because of it and a greater percentage of them won't.
    Last edited by Noel R.; 11-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Dear All,

What ever it is the out come about this price cut.
    We have a saying in India....Everything is temporary..Nothing is permanent..What you are this second is not same after few seconds...you can never be same again... change is the law...everything changes...this is the law...some time change is for good...some times it is bad ..really bad.
    So why many of you are breaking their heads on this thread on speculating future...No body knows the future...no one speculated future correctly...if that's true, we should have been still ruled by Kings... Just hope this change at RED will be good for all..and for RED...one who do not like change is a pessimist. I hope RED users are not pessimist.
    War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
    www.trikonatech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jones View Post
    Hey man, I just want to get away from the whole, gotta make money, gotta make money, to the ahhh I have a nice camera that I can shoot fun stuff with and also secondarily make money as well. That is where I started, and I plan to go back to that place. My next stop is Mexico, I just bought a house there and will be headed that way in the near months...
    The phrase that is in my head right now is "pulling the ladder up after you".

Wow this thread has really opened my eyes.
    Really gotta stop worrying about other people, I always seem to end up worrying about people who least need my concern!

love

Freya

I think the fact of the matter is simple. There are enough RED Epics out there to shoot every feature film in the world all at the same time. The market is saturated with them. The rental houses have enough of them to satisfy demand. The only 'big' sales left are to people who already own them via upgrades such as Dragon.

However if you substantially drop the price there is a much bigger audience to sell to. At the right price there is the world of wedding videographers for example. But it needs to be at the right price.

That's what RED is about to do - move out of a saturated market place and find more customers - it can't survive selling 200 cameras a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    My understanding is that there is now a ratified standard for 8k UHD. I'm also under the impression that the BBC made test broadcasts of UHD during the olympics (in fact I remember there were cinema screenings of this in a number of citys here in the UK). I think there are also test broadcasts in Japan right now. I'm a bit busy right now and can't check all my facts on this, so please feel free to do so, I could have some finer points wrong or be a bit off base but I think that 8k is very much on its way.

Havn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure how this relates to anything in context, but I very much believe we are heading for an 8k future (which will be a good thing in a lot of ways I think!)

love

Freya
    Freya,

I agree that UHD is a real standard that people are working to get adopted.

What I take issue with is the claim that digital cinema camera makers, e.g. Sony, Arri, Panavision, Panasonic, Weiscam, Phantom, P+S Tecnik, Ikonoskop, Aaton, etc. were sitting on 4k technology but decided not to persue it because each made the strategic decision to go from 1080P/2K directly to 8K believeing 8K would be a soon enough future. I also disagree with the conclusion that this point was made to support: namely that Red is not responsible for any technological advancement.

Image quality per dollar ratio:
    we all know where this tech is heading, either in bleeding increments or industry shaking ones.

Anyone who is half interested will own a camera soon enough. In fact, just as in the stills world, owning a camera will in itself mean dick all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jones View Post
    It's funny because I bought my car for the same price at the same time and it has only lost a couple of thousand of dollars in value. while it took 4 years for it to lose half of it's value (it was 70k brand new).
    Not that it's relevant but, before I'd believe THAT I'd have to see documentation. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
    Freya,
    What I take issue with is the claim that digital cinema camera makers, e.g. Sony, Arri, Panavision, Panasonic, Weiscam, Phantom, P+S Tecnik, Ikonoskop, Aaton, etc. were sitting on 4k technology but decided not to persue it because each made the strategic decision to go from 1080P/2K directly to 8K believeing 8K would be a soon enough future. I also disagree with the conclusion that this point was made to support: namely that Red is not responsible for any technological advancement.
    I think it's more likely that Sony have been heading in this direction to support their 4k projectors and that the other companies just saw that RED was having some success with it. Why rush into 4k if you can keep selling 1080p. :)

IMHO, Bingo!

P.S. I'd like to add that rushing into 4K was not an option for the other makers when the Red One was released. 4K represented a huge amount of data that required new compression, storage and workflow. Even now, I'm sure making a 4K camera is not a trivial task.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Not that it's relevant but, before I'd believe THAT I'd have to see documentation. LOL
    Maybe it was a used Yugo that had already depreciated. '-)
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith