Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1176
    Yes well, I feel the same way. I never want to buy another camera body.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    I'd definitely seek your advice on buying a used car... just not a camera!
    RED camera owner.

My two cents; technology prices fall, that's inevitable. I got a Scarlet for fun (1st) and fill the need for high-end corporate work (2nd). It's more of a toy for me and my wife than a tool for work and maybe that explains my contrasting view of the matter compared to those who see a price drop as a negative.

Does it hurt the resell value? Sure, but I know I'll get my money's worth in the end. My first corp gig with the Scarlet generated enough to pay the camera and accessories off in full and opened doors to other gigs so I can't complain. I was hoping, however, that when I bought my camera, there'd be an eventual upgrade path to the Epic that wouldn't involve selling my Scarlet then buying an Epic. Although slim, the possibility does seem more probable now than it did last November.

I'm camera agnostic and have no loyalties to any camera company but if this Scarlet-Epic path materializes, it's going to be difficult to leave RED, that's for sure.
    Ryan Sauvé | @sauvedp
    Epic-X Dragon #5343
    Epic-W #7950

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jones View Post
    Yes well, I feel the same way. I never want to buy another camera body.

Ha ha. Selling your body for money is never a good idea.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by patrickortman View Post
    Just a random observation your post reminded me about...

two years ago, I was directing a hellish TVC shoot in the midwest. And the client confided in me that he had recently bought a maserati. I smiled and said "yeah, I don't drive a masarati". He said "but you will, thanks to that camera".

Actually it's because of the hard work and learning and growing as a filmmaker. Not a camera. But without the camera, for me, I don't know if I'd have grown so much, so fast.

So Patrick,

which car are you driving now?

;-)

How much have you grown, so fast?

Was you customer right?

Questions over questions...

Axel
    Axel Mertes, CTO/Founder
    Magna Mana, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, www.MagnaMana.com
    RED ONE-MX#110, EPIC-X#1235

Sony, Canon, et al. — get your copying machines ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sauve View Post
    My two cents; technology prices fall, that's inevitable. I got a Scarlet for fun (1st) and fill the need for high-end corporate work (2nd). It's more of a toy for me and my wife than a tool for work and maybe that explains my contrasting view of the matter compared to those who see a price drop as a negative.

Does it hurt the resell value? Sure, but I know I'll get my money's worth in the end. My first corp gig with the Scarlet generated enough to pay the camera and accessories off in full and opened doors to other gigs so I can't complain. I was hoping, however, that when I bought my camera, there'd be an eventual upgrade path to the Epic that wouldn't involve selling my Scarlet then buying an Epic. Although slim, the possibility does seem more probable now than it did last November.

I'm camera agnostic and have no loyalties to any camera company but if this Scarlet-Epic path materializes, it's going to be difficult to leave RED, that's for sure.
    Ryan, I like your picture. Really says, I have so much money I don't care if the price drops. ;)

With the price drop, you are really going to get a similar deal to exchanging your scarlet for an Epic, and you can sell or keep the scarlet. So, even better.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

7. #1157 To solve the rental issues. 
    We are all in charge of our own businesses, and need to buy down to what we can afford, so we can quickly pay things down before things like this happen.

However, it takes time to pay things down. Maybe Red should draw a line in the sand, based on some arbitrarily nominated average rate of rental return a week, and for every week sooner than the cut off date, that somebody bought a camera, they get an set amount of extra credit towards buying new equipment with a maxinum percentage reduction per item (to keep them above cost) or a period in the future, and any special deals. A sort of "You scratched my back, and I'll scratch yours" deal.

Example. I don't know what average returns are like, so I'll make up some simple figures to make it easy to understand. Say I bought a camera. 5 weeks ago, and the arbitrary average weekly return means the difference in price to the price drop would take a year to cover. So you are given X amount of credit equivalent to the price drop less 5 weeks (5/52 weeks of that year period). Somebody that bough it 51 weeks ago gets 1 weeks credit. The credit can be used against future equipment that the firm can rent, but only say up to 20% off each item, so Red never makes a loss on any item, just not much of a net profit. They have up to a year to spend the credit, or a year minus how long ago that you bought the camera, with a minimum of six months to spend it.

Now we can all be happy. As it will take a little time for rental prices to be truly affected by the lower prices anyway, giving you even more time to get more rental returns.

If that sort of thing sounds acceptable suggest it.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Our job is not to secure you rental rates. If that was our model, we would do it ourselves.

Our goal is to put professional equipment in the hands of as many aspiring cinephotographers as possible. If you can make money renting your camera out... great. But that is not what is driving our business.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Our job is not to secure you rental rates. If that was our model, we would do it ourselves.

Our goal is to put professional equipment in the hands of as many aspiring cinephotographers as possible. If you can make money renting your camera out... great. But that is not what is driving our business.

Jim
    AMEN!

Thanks for the hall pass Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post

Jim

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram