Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 58 of 118 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Milan, you and Rob are commended for expressing your opinion. I agree that we need to keep the debate civil and try to avoid insults (as sometimes our emotions simply take the best of us). I don't know Tom nor his history on Reduser but I also haven't seen many ruthless postings by him either. I think we are all passionate about this company and the products they create and we own...this is why we even bother to speak up.

Still, so far, we haven't heard from many that agree with the opinion that "Price Lowering would HURT" the rental industry or Red owners. Sure your views aren't alone but without others jumping in to expressing their opinion, the greater contributors on this thread so far seem to oppose the thought.

Keep in mind that a good company would be innovating and "skate to where the puck is going not where it is". Epic can't be the last model at a premium for years. It needs to keep refreshing and or adjusting the price. Apple refreshes their macs every year (well okay, except for the Mac Pro which I'm sure is gonna be revolutionary next year). Apple also have lowered price on models in the past as well. Epic is the flagship but it too can't sit still. I bet Red has some pretty big plans coming in the near future.

Red isn't as "Attention Deficit" as Sony when releasing new models and new lines that overlap and leapfrog each other...nor is Red like Canon that takes years to come out with the Canon 5D mkIII and miss the boat on their userbase and what they were asking and wanting.

Epic pricing and newer versions will continue and that simply means your investment will continue to depreciate. Sure you won't like it (as no one really does) but like I and many believe, the overall big picture will benefit RED, the users, the community, the third party developers, and the industry. We can't sit still.

In the end, we all have our opinions and there is no real right or wrong answer.
    Movme inc.
    Red Epic-W s/n 4015, 8K Digital Cinema Camera
    MacBook Pro 6 core, FCP-X
    DJI Ronin, Ready Rig, Vaxis 500+, Tilta Nucleus-M, OSEE HSM-700, Dynacore Mini

Sometimes I wonder if people really just wants threads to be shut down.

My guess is RED foresaw the complaints, kinda slightly.
    After all, Jarred et all have been around here all along.

And I guess they don't really mind.

R1s price was inflated through the stages/epic program, which gave those who got on early an incredible security to their investment in something that is basically a piece of electronics that could be described as a smart lens-mount.

Capitalazion is many thing. Actually. Getting the images you want, is imho the most important.

But my main point is:
    If we do want the discussion open, discuss RED, and don't insult eachother. It is just noise whichever way you put it.

Cheers

G
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Come on now... I cannot believe the level of ignorance I see in this thread. Ignorance of Moore's law at it's worst. And even Moore's law is being debated to start accelerating rather then being a constant.

The truth here is that you would never buy a computer that is three years old for the same price as a new modell. Technology evolve, technology drop in price all the time and the time you start complaining about it because you bought some expensive hardware is the time you forget the rational you.

I've never heard someone who bought inexpensive hardware to complain when new models arrive. How many people here complain about Iphone 4 dropping in price? Anyone? Someone?
    No, didn't think so. The thing is that if you are to buy expensive hardware like the Epic, you damn straight need to have a reason for it. It would serve a purpose, you need it to tripple your income and the investment should be just that, an investment.

If you, like me, don't film as much as you like to do, you sure as hell can't buy an expensive camera and think that is all you need to get going. If you run around complaining about rental prices, that your 7D or 5D isn't good enough and that you shoot every single day and at the end of each day you are sad that you can't get more out of your now overused equipment, then I think Epic might be something for you and then you wouldn't give a shit about future price drops.

You want to save the cake and eat it... no, you have the cake, want to eat it and no one else can have any other cake like the one you have.

Technology always drop in price, technology is the worst possible investment you can EVER make if you do not earn enough money that it "buys itself". That is the truth and the ignorance among a few here, while I do understand the frustration (I have bought stuff that got dropped directly after) you can't complain about it because it's just ignorant of how the world works.

But if you still want to complain, why don't you buy an Alexa? or a Canon? They seem to sell their camera with 1080p for a much higher price and I haven't heard them drop the price much. Then you will have month or years old equipment for the same price as when they were new on the market... yay!
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Hahahaha

Thx Christopher.

I wouldn't dare being the one advicing on buying an Alexa as a capotal investment these days... :-)

What about a positive aspect on this issue: The insurance fees of our Epics will also be lower, and this should be a positive thing for everybody --unless thre is somebody in the forum running a insurance company. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Provost View Post
    Has it gotten any cheaper to make a red rocket? I mean come on, it's a pcie card. One slot. $5k? Really? Design hasn't changed in years.
    Maybe not enough is purchased to warrant up drop in price?
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    Maybe not enough is purchased to warrant up drop in price?
    Or too many who needs replacement.

Are people seriously upset that Red is going to lower their prices? WTF? I'm an owner who rents gear too... you know what that means? I can now afford even more gear. I win. What the heck are people complaining about? Everyone is so damn sensitive. Stop it. Red, don't defend yourself for being awesome... just be awesome like you do best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Respectful posts only or I'll start deleting...

Jim
    '
    Dear Red Leader. Please ignore all these dissenters and cut that discount as deeply as you can kind sir.

Might I even kindly suggest a Discount Double Check!?

thank you
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whitcomb View Post
    '

Might I even kindly suggest a Discount Double Check!?
    Oh too funny ;)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >