Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Closed Thread
Page 61 of 118 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1176
  1. #601  
    Senior Member Paul Ellington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    foresaw for sure... we open ourselves up to that being here... the customers can complain directly to the top and have a voice. That can be dangerous.

    Good thing though is that for every 1 complaint.. there are 20 atta-boys... so we are good.

    Carry on as usual.
    I don't see how anyone could complain.

    Lovely work and your should be over the moon with what you accomplished.

    - E

    Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

     

  2. #602  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Murray View Post
    After all the complaining and the this and that and i dont like how my product is not worth as much or anything at all..... all that jazz will fall into deaf ears!!! im just glad that in my life time i was able to be around when a single company was able to make my dreams of getting into the Digital cinema dream affordable for me!! because thinking 15 years back or even 10 years back ill go as far as to say 6 years back you Either had to have either good connections, very deep pockets, alot of good looks or just plain lucky to be able to get into this medium! so from the bottom of my heart i must be grateful and say Thank you Red for being around in My life time to help me achieve my dreams with your products regardless of the changes you make during the process!
    Since you call the ones raising their worries complainers, let me call you delusional. I can't think of a single good piece of art made on Red, that has not been made by someone who had the knowledge/therefore the contacts/cinematic experience of shooting on Super16, that has done any good work simply by investing in a Red camera.

    Maybe I'm not up to date, but can you mention one narrative work of such nature? It seems like DV was a much bigger revolution for new _film makers_, the high quality of the Red footage means no poor skills can be camouflaged like on DV.
    Last edited by Jon MIchael Puntervold; 10-29-2012 at 04:40 AM.
     

  3. #603  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairfax Virginia
    Posts
    1,883
    The digital revolution marches on….like it or not. What is it Moore’s law that says every 2 years we will double capacity and chip speeds? When you ad competitive factors to the changing technologies it can be a tough decision what to buy and when to buy. To purchase digital equipment in this age is a risky business. One should not invest hard earned monies into digital camera systems without being comfortable with these risks in a fast changing digital landscape where you may very well see a “devalue” occurrence much faster then you anticipated. In the last 5-6 years the average life of a hot camera staying hot, might only be a year to 1.5 max. If you bought on the leading edge you have reasonable time to re-coup, if your 6-9-12 months into a camera release cycle then the risk is higher that it wont be “as good” an investment. If investment is your main concern, and your unsure…. then I recommend staying away from cameras and think about lenses, tripods, lights and the rest of the peripherals and rent a camera body when needed then you are somewhat insulated from these issues. Everybody wants to be a camera owner no matter the risks because its sexy to have a hot camera, but its not always smart money spent.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Scarlet, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, Amira and Classic, Sony Venice, Varicam LT
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's, Super Speeds
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa Evolution, Atlas Orion A + B sets
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Like our Facebook and follow Instagram pages for updates
     

  4. #604  
    Senior Member Elsie N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if people really just wants threads to be shut down. My guess is RED foresaw the complaints, kinda slightly. After all, Jarred et all have been around here all along. And I guess they don't really mind. R1s price was inflated through the stages/epic program, which gave those who got on early an incredible security to their investment in something that is basically a piece of electronics that could be described as a smart lens-mount. Capitalazion is many thing. Actually. Getting the images you want, is imho the most important. But my main point is: If we do want the discussion open, discuss RED, and don't insult eachother. It is just noise whichever way you put it. Cheers G
    Sailient point! And even if the ones on here who threaten to not buy another RED camera again actually follow through, there are going to be 10 new customers to take their place. But I actually think the reduction in noise from the Dragon sensor will make everyone forget this exercise in THE SKY IS FALLING irrational behaviour and cheer the Dragon.

    That aside, I predict that the rental market isn't going to change all that much (at least not from a drop in Epic price) because many of the new Epics sold after the price drop will be to people who don't live in big cities next to rental houses. I own two Epics to 1. make two camera setups in order to save time and money on set. and 2. because there isn't a rental house within 300 miles in any direction that rents Epics. The people who are used to renting will continue to do so and continue to spend most of their money on production, but the people who don't have ready access will go ahead and bite the bullet and purchase equipment because in their environment they have lower production costs otherwise and it's a good investment.

    At least, that's the way I see it.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 10-29-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith
     

  5. #605  
    Senior Member Dan Rosario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    142
    Brilliant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Weiss View Post
     

  6. #606  
    REDuser Sponsor Jay A. Kelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    3,796
    People are worried, and that is understandable. I am proud of my EPIC, and it makes me more money than it cost. But I've had to be creative. mom says "you don't have a money problem, you have an idea problem."

    Jay
     

  7. #607  
    Senior Member Elsie N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay A. Kelley View Post
    People are worried, and that is understandable. I am proud of my EPIC, and it makes me more money than it cost. But I've had to be creative. mom says "you don't have a money problem, you have an idea problem."

    Jay
    Heh, heh... I think we have a lot of 47 per centers on here complaining that they are not being granted their entitlements (keep price of Epic artificially high.) They are so used to the govt. taking care of them that they are confusing RED with the govt.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 10-29-2012 at 06:17 AM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith
     

  8. #608  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Everything in the electronics world changes... usually for the better, cheaper and faster. EPIC just did.

    We have learned how to make EPICs in quantity, lowered our assembly costs, found better suppliers and paid off our NRE.

    That means we can continue to charge the same for an EPIC (and now make an obscene amount of profit) or lower the price.
    ..
    I paid over $2400 (in 1984 dollars) for an original 1984 Macintosh. That is over $4000 worth of today's money. It had no hard drive. It was 128K of RAM. 3.5" floppys. All I could do with a 1984 Macintosh was MacPaint and MacWrite.

    Jim
    Various people around here didn't believe me this is how it works, they get some sort of pleasure banging their heads against a wall of facts. I thought that would be the production cost.

    Jim, you could have hired me to do this. I would have streamlined a bit while going out looking for an expert that really knows their stuff in production prototyping and production assembly. Sunglass assembly only paints so much of the picture. You might also consider selling your tech for other products, and licensing. I wonder what that former National guy that used to run Apple is doing this century.

    Jim, I don't know what inflation is doing in the US, but over here I think we hit 100% in a decade, 200% the previous decade, and I don't know the first decade, but something like 600%. So, $2400 might be over $10,000 worth. Still, a v8 Mustang Coupe was $6999 in 1986. It must be great to have so much money ;) . Wish you the best, luv you for putting my dreams into reality.

    (PS, does this mean you will be renaming the Epic to Scarlet, and calling it a day, or dropping the price of the Scarlet to $5k?).
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

    -Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.
     

  9. #609  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,278
    BTW, can we "fix" the scarlet? ;)
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

    -Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.
     

  10. #610  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Heh, heh... I think we have a lot of 47 per centers on here complaining that they are not being granted their entitlements. They are so used to the govt. taking care of them that they are confusing RED with the govt.
    Hold it Elsie, their making a profit off of..

    Give and take.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

    -Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts