Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New "inexpensive" PL primes from Sony !?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New "inexpensive" PL primes from Sony 
    Throughout the whole new F-something announcement nobody seems to have mentioned these

Sony introduces a second generation of inexpensive PL mount prime lenses, with improved mechanical design. Focal lengths are 20, 25, 35, 50, 85 and 135 mm, all T2.0. All have the same widest diameter of 118 mm, the same front diameter (114 mm), and geared barrel locations. All are 120 mm long, except the 135 mm, which is 145 mm long. They each have a 9-bladed iris, The focus ring rotates 240°
    http://www.fdtimes.com/2012/10/30/sony-f55-and-f5/
    Something witty this way comes.

The last inexpensive lenses from Sony got a "nice try, Sony" from Matt Duclos... Wonder how these new ones will hold up

Link to the post on Matt's Blog

I think these lenses will only work on Sony cameras. The PR material says they are "exclusive". That's how it was with their last lenses (from what I've read)...
    Twitter: @hybridvigorfilm

Hybrid Vigor is a 100% crowdfunded feature film.
    We've been backed over 1,900 times by people from 44 countries.

Thanks Brandon! Haven't found their PR material on these yet. Do you have a link?

I think Sony learned from the mistake they did with the first generation PL lenses the made for the F3.
    The new lenses seem to be much more sturdy and they come with a metal housing.
    I think these lenses could come in very handy, if they are offered a at good price point.
    The ones I miss are of course the 18mm t2.0 and 100mm t2.0. But hey, time will tell.
    And since RED seem to go off the lens market more and more, I will definitely have a closer look at those Sony lenses.
    After all they are PL-Mount. And a PL-Mount is a PL-Mount. (At least in my book)

From the cinescopophilia.com website:
    "Sony CineAlta PL-mount prime lenses: A new generation
    With the F5, Sony introduces our second generation of cost-effective PL mount prime lenses, featuring a dramatic improvement in build quality. Thanks to refined glass, all are certified for 4K capture, while minimizing geometric distortion, vignetting and breathing. A 9-blade iris delivers beautiful bokehs. The focus rings rotate 240°. The series includes focal lengths of 20, 25, 35, 50, 85 and 135 mm. For easy lens changes, all have the same T2.0 aperture, the same external diameter, matte box diameter, and gear locations for follow focus and aperture. All are the same size except for the 135 mm."

From the Film-TV-Video website: (Beware, it's german!)
    "Zu den neuen Kameras passende PL-Objektive aus eigenem Haus bietet Sony in Form eines Dreier- und eines Sechser-Sets an. Zusätzlich zu den von der F3 bekannten Festbrennweiten mit 35, 50 und 85 mm Brennweite (Dreier-Set: SCL-PK3), kommen parallel zu den neuen Kameras weitere Primes mit den Brennweiten 20, 25 und 135 mm in den Handel (Sechser-Set: SCL-PK6). Alle erreichen eine maximale Öffnung von T2.0, sind für 4K-Auflösung gerechnet und bieten ein Metallgehäuse."

Cheers

Peter

This was on duclos site so I wonder if its the same with this new version

I work at a rental house called Tamberelli Digital in Manhattan. We purchased a set of these lenses a few weeks ago with one of our PMW-F3 cameras because they seemed like a good solution for clients who can’t afford to rent more expensive glass. It turns out, however, that these Happy Meal lenses only work on Sony cameras, despite their claim as “PL mount” lenses. The ears on the PL mount are larger than those on an Ultra Prime, and so they wouldn’t fit on our Canon 7D with FGV PL modification, our AF100 with Hot Rod adapter, or our Alexas. They slide right onto our F35 though.
    Bal Deo
    Vancouver, BC
    Director/Cinematographer
    604 839 3367
    deo studios
    RED EPIC, RPP's, Canon L Series
    www.baldeo.ca
    www.deostudios.com
    www.deostudios.blogspot.com

Sony's last attempt at PL primes were garbage in terms of the materials used and serviceability. I'm seeing people here and elsewhere claim these new primes are made by Cooke. Hmmm... If they're Cooke optics and coatings, I'll be very surprised. But like others have pointed out, if they're the Minolta glass in Cooke-made housings, they could be quite nice.

I hope they are good lenses at a good price, the market definitely needs more reasonably priced options!

Oddly enough, I'm about 100X more interested in the primes than the new cameras. Sony cameras, even the new modular 4K ones, just don't do it for me. I admit that I have a strong aversion, even an allergy, when it comes to Sony's marketing and business practices, so I guess I'm biased in that way. But the F65 has failed to impress me in any way, including the images it captures, so I don't see anything to get excited about here. The F55 is positioned below the F65, the latter remaining the flagship of the Sony CineAlta pro line.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

[QUOTE=Jeff Kilgroe;1085828]Sony's last attempt at PL primes were garbage in terms of the materials used and serviceability. I'm seeing people here and elsewhere claim these new primes are made by Cooke.

The first rounders were made by Cooke too...
    Epic M Dragon #2693 "Morpheus" | Epic M #565 "Opus", (Fuji Cabrios: 19-90 & 85-300mm), 3-ton grip truck, Ronin, Inspire 1, jib, steadicam, and more!

Adobe CC Production Premium, Matrox MXO2/Axio, BlueFish 444

www.picturethisproductions.net
    - Info
    Demo material
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook

i noticed the lenses as well....
    sony has been incredibly aggressive in the last years....and smart....
    if you have bought a panasonic, olympus, nikon, samsung or obviously sony camera (p&s, compact, DSLR,...) this year, you probably bought a sony sensor....
    the are really doing things right now....not just marketing....
    these cameras and lenses look great and will shake things up....funny thing is, everybody compares to RED (modularity?) but really canon should be very, very afraid....i just don't see a place for the C line anymore.....
    red with price cuts is still right there, shipping now (not in 6 months) and proven....dragon can not come fast enough at this point to keep an edge.....the meizler looks a little strange right now...especially for the price....

The design of this lenses are actually very nice, better then UP's or even Leica Cine Primes for that matter, (Hate that Leica in 2012 deiced to put out such OLD design, tradition my rear).

This look more in the line design of the Cooke, and towards the Master Primes, even so a far cry from it, I again like the decision of their design on the actual lens... However...

Needs to be seen what they can do, as far as image quality Focus Markings distance and precision, as well as Artifacts containment and Breathing, Price and PL adaptability.

This lenses are not PL, are FZ a Sony proprietary Mount, and they also have the PL adaptor.
    Filmmaker | Conservationist | Philanthropist