Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Size matters...

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Gibby, Rocketeer,

I love where you guys are going with this. I never intended to use RED1 as an ENG tool but I just spent a day shooting at a rock climbing gym with a Panasonic AJ HDX 900 24P DVCPRO HD Camera, with me inverted, suspended at the top of the wall. The challenges of shooting in this environment with this size and weight of camera (I'm still recovering from harness stress LOL) truely lead to using versatile B4 style lenses with RED. I'm all for it as an alternate conversion (production can rent me Canon HD lenses). Climbing aside, it would also make for wicked 1080 underwater work if the lens controls could be wired to an external controller outside the underwater houseing.
    "Any smaller and it would be vaporware."

Banned
    with you on that...this will be the best outdoor and nature video camera eeeeever. i'll have 18mm for WA landscapes and 300mm for the birds and wildlife. and now this amazing portability.

and that's just the beginning! not to mention all the other amazing features...

this is the shizzzzz......

Quote Originally Posted by JDHolloway View Post
    Gibby, Rocketeer,

I love where you guys are going with this. I never intended to use RED1 as an ENG tool but I just spent a day shooting at a rock climbing gym with a Panasonic AJ HDX 900 24P DVCPRO HD Camera, with me inverted, suspended at the top of the wall. The challenges of shooting in this environment with this size and weight of camera (I'm still recovering from harness stress LOL) truely lead to using versatile B4 style lenses with RED. I'm all for it as an alternate conversion (production can rent me Canon HD lenses). Climbing aside, it would also make for wicked 1080 underwater work if the lens controls could be wired to an external controller outside the underwater houseing.
    My motives are purely selfish :)
    Our inventory base is made up of HD ENG and Cine 2/3" B4 glass to go with the F900R and Varicams we carry. The majority of our client base are use to working EFP style.

Although we carry MB18's, Chrosziel, Microforce, Ronfords etc we are a Video only rental house. We'll see how the Red shakes down before making the substantial investment in 35mm lenses. For us, the best option is go B4 and Nikon mount and rent in 35mm lenses until the Red Zoom arrives and hopefully a set of Red primes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    That's my wish too, but if they've already engineered it being somewhere else on the camera, we'll just have to use a longer cable. At any rate, I'm way stoked that they are considering including the 12-volt taps.

On another note...we're looking forward to getting down to New Zealand and Australia sometime in 2007. It will be cool meeting you Rocketeer!
    Due to the Red and the potential impact it will make on our business it looks like I'm doing Vegas. See you in April!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    Due to the Red and the potential impact it will make on our business it looks like I'm doing Vegas. See you in April!
    Very cool! See you at NAB in April, and in New Zealand before or after that.
    Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    Golden Gate 3D - www.gg3d.com

Co-Producer, IMAX film CUBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijvjeZ89qY
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stevegibby/

Quote Originally Posted by planet e View Post
    with you on that...this will be the best outdoor and nature video camera eeeeever. i'll have 18mm for WA landscapes and 300mm for the birds and wildlife. and now this amazing portability.
    This is exactly what I'm thinking - those lens options too. Don't forget a good macro zoom there too (I'm just starting to research such beasts for 35mm). Gotta get in close to all those little critters.

I'm pretty sure the lenses designed for 3 chip cameras with prisms won't work with RED, hence, initially high quality s16mm zooms might be best. but if there is potential, they will build what is needed. I bet Canon will one of the first, they don't have a ultra high end market to protect.

Joe C.